New MVB search

Discuss substrates, lighting, heating, enclosure building ideas, share enclosure photos, and talk about any other enclosure-related topics.

New MVB search

Postby Maddy5150 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 10:04 am

Hello everyone this morning we had a slight issue with Ziggys tank. Her mercury vapor bulb that was an evergreen pets brand bulb was moved a little too close to the plastic rim on the top of her lid I meant to put it back when I woke up but my dad turned her light on for me while I was still asleep and it burned right through the plastic so now she’s out of her tank I have a blanket wrapped heating pad for her to sit on and a blanket on top of her making sure it’s not too hot long story short I need to buy her a new mercury vapor bulb. What’s the best one I could find? She’s in a 40 gallon tank for reference. Thanks for the help in advance!
Maddy5150
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: New MVB search

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:57 pm

I wouldn't trust that brand anyways. Last I checked, they don't list the output of the bulb (so how are you supposed to know what distance you need it to be for proper UV exposure?)

If you are against a regular basking bulb + linear UVB (the preferred method) I would stick to an MVB like the powersun. Or an MVB from Arcadia.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

Postby Maddy5150 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:45 pm

Claudiusx wrote:I wouldn't trust that brand anyways. Last I checked, they don't list the output of the bulb (so how are you supposed to know what distance you need it to be for proper UV exposure?)

If you are against a regular basking bulb + linear UVB (the preferred method) I would stick to an MVB like the powersun. Or an MVB from Arcadia.

-Brandon

What kind of linear UVB do you recommend for a 40 gallon?
Maddy5150
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 1:55 pm

24" fixture like Zoo Med w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- if the tank is 18" use the T 5 bulb -- if your tank is low like 16" go w/ the T 8 --- distance and placement is crucial for the bulbs etc --- a bright white basking bulb --- No off color yellow or colored bulb
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Maddy5150 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:06 pm

KarrieRee wrote:24" fixture like Zoo Med w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- if the tank is 18" use the T 5 bulb -- if your tank is low like 16" go w/ the T 8 --- distance and placement is crucial for the bulbs etc --- a bright white basking bulb --- No off color yellow or colored bulb
Karrie

Ok great. Would you recommend a MVB? If so which one I’m trying to feel out my options.
Maddy5150
Hatchling Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Nov 30, 2020 5:16 pm

I think Solar Glo's and Mega Rays are supposed to be pretty good -- lets see who else can recommend some
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Dec 01, 2020 10:36 am

I'd try a PowerSun or Arcadia as mentioned. The 100w versions are usually good at around 12-14''. Lightyourreptiles.com has an Arcadia with a wattage converter and dome fixture as a kit so you can use the European version in the US. I've ordered both of these recently and will be testing output and distances for both as soon as I can.
CooperDragon

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Enclosures