New MVB search

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone this morning we had a slight issue with Ziggys tank. Her mercury vapor bulb that was an evergreen pets brand bulb was moved a little too close to the plastic rim on the top of her lid I meant to put it back when I woke up but my dad turned her light on for me while I was still asleep and it burned right through the plastic so now she’s out of her tank I have a blanket wrapped heating pad for her to sit on and a blanket on top of her making sure it’s not too hot long story short I need to buy her a new mercury vapor bulb. What’s the best one I could find? She’s in a 40 gallon tank for reference. Thanks for the help in advance!

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I wouldn't trust that brand anyways. Last I checked, they don't list the output of the bulb (so how are you supposed to know what distance you need it to be for proper UV exposure?)

If you are against a regular basking bulb + linear UVB (the preferred method) I would stick to an MVB like the powersun. Or an MVB from Arcadia.

-Brandon

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":1ioomqtw said:
I wouldn't trust that brand anyways. Last I checked, they don't list the output of the bulb (so how are you supposed to know what distance you need it to be for proper UV exposure?)

If you are against a regular basking bulb + linear UVB (the preferred method) I would stick to an MVB like the powersun. Or an MVB from Arcadia.

-Brandon
What kind of linear UVB do you recommend for a 40 gallon?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
24" fixture like Zoo Med w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- if the tank is 18" use the T 5 bulb -- if your tank is low like 16" go w/ the T 8 --- distance and placement is crucial for the bulbs etc --- a bright white basking bulb --- No off color yellow or colored bulb
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":o60jwf25 said:
24" fixture like Zoo Med w/a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 --- if the tank is 18" use the T 5 bulb -- if your tank is low like 16" go w/ the T 8 --- distance and placement is crucial for the bulbs etc --- a bright white basking bulb --- No off color yellow or colored bulb
Karrie
Ok great. Would you recommend a MVB? If so which one I’m trying to feel out my options.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I think Solar Glo's and Mega Rays are supposed to be pretty good -- lets see who else can recommend some
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'd try a PowerSun or Arcadia as mentioned. The 100w versions are usually good at around 12-14''. Lightyourreptiles.com has an Arcadia with a wattage converter and dome fixture as a kit so you can use the European version in the US. I've ordered both of these recently and will be testing output and distances for both as soon as I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom