Curve In 4 Month old Beardies Spine

Status
Not open for further replies.

lennon23

I have a four month old beardie. I just took him to the vet to get an x ray because he sprained his arm. The vet told me everything was good and it’s fine. Well a day later I noticed that he was forming a curve in his back. He will sometimes straighten out but most of the time he stays curled. I have the ReptiSun T8 10.0 (7 inches from him with no mesh in between) and i dusted his dubais with calcium, calcium D3, and multivitamins. He is still very active and eats every meal but I have no idea what it could be.

109870-380350613.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Is there a cover over the bulb on the fixture- distance and placement is good
Karrie

lennon23

Original Poster
No, I removed the plastic that was on the hood for the build. Yes the placement is good and so is the distance is also good. He lays under it and it’s about 7 inches above him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I am wondering if this is genetic -- where did you get him from ? We need TracieDrache613 to look at him - shes our vet tech mod---
Karrie

lennon23

Original Poster
KarrieRee said:
I am wondering if this is genetic -- where did you get him from ? We need TracieDrache613 to look at him - shes our vet tech mod---

That could be true. I got him from the DFW Reptarium (in Dallas, Texas) How should I contact her?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

How long have you had the little guy?

He really would have needed to be without proper UV and supplementation for most of his life for the spine twisting to be MBD related I'd say.

It's more likely it's muscular and neurological, not MBD or bone related.

-Brandon

lennon23

Original Poster
Claudiusx":21om09wv said:
Hi there,

How long have you had the little guy?

He really would have needed to be without proper UV and supplementation for most of his life for the spine twisting to be MBD related I'd say.

It's more likely it's muscular and neurological, not MBD or bone related.

-Brandon

Hi,

I have had him for about 3 months, that’s why I didn’t think it was MBD because I have given him everything he needs to be healthy. So what do you think caused the muscular and neurological issues? How would I treat that? I just don’t want him to be in pain.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That is quite odd! It just developed practically overnight?
Did you possibly feed him too large of a prey item to have impacted him? That can cause
a curve in the back also. Could he have fallen or hurt himself?
Also, genetics can be a contributing factor as well.
Can you post a few more pictures of up close so I can see his hands/feet, toes, etc?
What type of gutload do you feed the dubias prior to feeding him? How often are you
using the various calciums, once daily, or more & how many days per week?

Tracie

lennon23

Original Poster
Drache613":206qegpp said:
Hello,

That is quite odd! It just developed practically overnight?
Did you possibly feed him too large of a prey item to have impacted him? That can cause
a curve in the back also. Could he have fallen or hurt himself?
Also, genetics can be a contributing factor as well.
Can you post a few more pictures of up close so I can see his hands/feet, toes, etc?
What type of gutload do you feed the dubias prior to feeding him? How often are you
using the various calciums, once daily, or more & how many days per week?

Tracie

Yes it practically did! I’m not sure how he sprained his left arm but the vet never said anything about his back. I’ve been giving him Metacam for the pain.
I don’t think he is impacted because I only feed him bugs the smaller than between his eyes and he uses the bathroom twice a day.
I gutload the dubias with collard greens or mustard greens since my beardie doesn’t eat those himself. I dust them 1-2 times a day 7 days a week.

109870-8885347880.jpg

109870-4229193903.jpg
His left arm is the sprained one.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is his back doing today?
Is he using his left arm more often now?
Ok, let's cut down on the dusting some, in case he might be getting too much calcium,
which can happen. Try dusting just once daily, 4-5 days per week. Let's see if that helps
out some. Does the metacam seem to be helping his pain?

Tracie

lennon23

Original Poster
Drache613 said:
Hello,

How is his back doing today?
Is he using his left arm more often now?
Ok, let's cut down on the dusting some, in case he might be getting too much calcium,
which can happen. Try dusting just once daily, 4-5 days per week. Let's see if that helps
out some. Does the metacam seem to be helping his pain?

Tracie[/quot

His back is still in the same condition. No he is not and sometimes he will ever fall off his branches because he can’t hold on so I am making something more safe and easier for him. Okay I will definitely do that. Yes I think the medicine is helping.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom