Lighting and Heating Help

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am in the process of setting up a new home for a baby that I will be getting in a week or so along with a bin for a Dubia colony. I live in WI and everything with be in the basement along with all of the other reptiles. My main concern right now is in regards to the UVB rays and their effects on the dragons eyes. I currently have a 60w (1050 lumens and full power) halogen bulb for the basking lamp and T5 HO 10.0 UVB. I am able to get the basking temps in the desired range of 105 - 110 but I have to dim down the bulb quite a bit to maintain that temp. I have read on other posts that a bright light is needed to help "neutralize" the rays to the dragons eyes. So, my question is, will this be sufficient at a dimmed level or should I use a lower wattage bulb at a higher brightness.

My last question is regarding the Dubia colony. As stated, everything is in the basement which drops to the high 60's at night. I am having a problem getting the temps inside the feeder bin to 85-90. I have a 16w heat mat on one side. Considering getting a Nano heat emitter but they only come in 25w or 40w. Which one would be a better choice.

Thanks for the help.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB bulb should serve you well. As long as it is overhead and not shining at an angle over the basking area it shouldn't cause any eye problems. As far as the basking light goes, if you're reaching the proper surface temps but need to dim it a lot, I'd use a lower wattage bulb. I try to get the temps as close as possible with the bulb brand/wattage and then just use the dimmer to fine tune the output a tiny bit as needed.

I have my roach colony in the basement too. It stays around the same temps as you're seeing. I use a 60w heat projector sitting over the cardboard tubes I have as their housing and they do just fine. I don't fuss over the exact temps too much. Their enclosure is a 20g long with a mesh top. I feed them leftover salads from my dragon and scraps of veges and fruit from the kitchen. I think the heat projector size you'll need will kind of vary based on the size of their enclosure. I do like the heat projector bulbs more than ceramic heat emitters because they produce a good amount of heat without getting nearly so hot to the touch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jelynnm
Top Bottom