Dragon stop eating !!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tonyx

Hello, my juvenile 5 months dragon never ate too much but couple of days ago after waking up with some black beard and some dark tail (for the first time and lasted the entire day) he stopped eating insects and 2 days he refuses now getting skinner. Poop is normal even I don’t understand how he poop if doesn’t eat (eat some veggie). Was alternating crickets and dubia (dusted pure calcium and sometimes vitamins) also very recently super worm as treat (before was wax). Also start be lethargic and stop basking! My doubt is the lighting ..Using 60W luckyherp mercury vapor as in photo set up gives 39-40’ basking and 29-30’ cool. Tank is 60 cm long and will upgrade soon.
I’d like advise by someone using mercury vapor lights ..should I switch to fluorescent uvb?

pls help
Tonyx

109837-3793432093.jpg
109837-1560758185.jpg
109837-907382165.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am not famililar with the Lucky herp mercury vapor bulb, but if it's made in China the
quality probably isn't very good. I have used mercury vapor bulbs for quite awhile, in
combination with a tube bulb, also.
I like the Arcadia brand of Mercury vapor bulb. You could upgrade to that brand & then
add in a long tube bulb as well.
At his age, he definitely needs calcium 4-5 days per week.
It likely is the lighting, & he probably isn't absorbing his calcium very well. Can he support
his body weight at all right now?

Tracie

Tonyx

Original Poster
Hi Tracie, thanks a lot. He still can walk but these last 2 days lost lot of strength. I think too maybe the light is not working properly anyway just bought fluorescent uvb and I’ll try switch ..also bought some repashy jelly superfood and his preferred wax worms hope he’ll eat. In meantime I was out my son put him outside the tank with his veggie and he suddenly start eat ..so he doesn’t like the tank Vs parasite issues I believe.

Thanks

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great, that sounds good!
Which UVB fluorescent tube bulb did you purchase? I hope the Reptisun 10 or Arcadia.
Did he like the Repashy food also, or are you still waiting for it in the mail?
Be sure to keep him a little warmer overnight around 75-80 to help with boosting his immune
system right now since he isn't 100%. Work on hydration status also, if possible. You can get
some apple, grape juice, cranberry or cherry juice & dilute it to a 3:1 ratio to cut down on sugar,
mixed with water that he might like too for some hydration help.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Tonyx

Original Poster
Yes things seems little better but still sometimes hide instead of basking. Switched to reptisun 100. He eat little by little the Repashy jelly but we need feed him or alone he has this give up attitude ..same with wax worms able to eat 3 in a day but still need be under his nose. Just one dubia today.
He poop twice today all good looking.
I’m thinking this my be a sum of issues anyway things started get worst when offered him super worms ..he ate 1 as treat for 5 days and then suddenly start refuse them ..after a while also started refuse other insects. Now his entire mouth looks gray when I think I remember it pink ..but I can’t see any rotting areas around lips etc.
Thanks Tracie

Tonyx

Original Poster
I checked old photo definitely inside is mouth ..gums tongue all oral cavity was pink and now is gray. Again I can’t see thick saliva or rotting areas around the mouth ..anyone could tell if this is mouth Roth ? Maybe coz of super worm bite?
Thanks

Tonyx

Original Poster
Good news this morning eat 3 dubia and the inside of his mouth is getting back to pink color !

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am glad to hear that his mouth is looking better inside. I am not sure why it would be a
grayish in color, other than the possibility of him being a bit anemic from lack of nutrition.
That's great he finally ate also, hopefully he is feeling better now.
Do you also feed greens or is he interested in them at all?
Keep us posted on him.

Tracie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon needs a bigger tank like a 75-120 gallon --- what is the UVB situation? Please tell us what you got for a UVB brand and bulb please--- Your dragon will not eat w/ out proper UVB and basking temps--- you need a digital probe thermometer to get those temps-- please get your dragon a hide -- he needs an upgrade on all his husbandry equipment please
Karrie

Tonyx

Original Poster
Hi thanks for the suggestions and I’m following, reptisun 100 also switched to calcium with D3 Vs pure calcium was suggested me given the mercury bulb.
Keep you posted! Thanks again!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Reptisun 100 ? Is that a basking bulb? Also the MVB what brand and bulb did you get -- these bulbs have certain placement and distance requirements you do not need two basking bulbs you will burn him up--- also the D3 should be given dusted on the insects and 5 x per week once per feeding along w/ vitmains w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding --- here is a nutrition website please ignore the kale thing its a good staple feeder http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
Karrie

Tonyx

Original Poster
Thanks seems very exhaustive link! So kale is ok to give daily coz I read before just occasionally.
I had 60W Mercury luckyherp placed at 30 cm so to give 40’ basking and 30’ cooling as in photo posted, was dusting with pure calcium (repticalcium no D3) coz this what I read in websites if you have mercury bulb.
Dragon got sick, lethargic and refusing food.
So I switch to fluorescent reptisun100 UVB + basking UVA zoomed 60 at 30 cm gives 40’ + repticalcium with D3 ..I also give vitamins herptivite + also started giving superfood jelly repashy.
Now He is eating 3 wax worms a day ..veggie ..dubia as much possible (yesterday he wanted no more than 4).
Goal is getting some fat on those bones.
New enclosure should be done early next week hope this will help.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Is the fluorescent reptisun 100 UVB a PowerSun bulb ? Please post a pic of the box
Karrie

BeardieRescuer

He’s burnt to a crisp can barely move or walk!! The mercury bulb is deadly and has to be 16inches minimum away!! Get rid of it ASAP!!! get a zoomed basking heat bulb clear in color. NO colored ones amd the Reptisun UVB 10.0 T5 for uvb the length should cover 70 percent of the tank. DO not use that Reptisun that’s a coiled bulb!!! Geezus follow what we are telling you. And Get a bigger tank ASAP; 40 gallon tank minimum; his tank is way too small!!and get rid of any sand substrate!! also and at his age he should be eating 40-60 crickets feed him 3-4 times a day aloft with lots of greens and veggies. If the heat is too hot or too low they can’t eat and needs uvb for calcium absorption or bones will be brittle that dragon is on his death bed!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom