Closes eyes while near cage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brown2353

Hello everyone, I am a new owner or my bearded dragon I just have a few questions. My beardies is about 2 months brought him or her from petco Friday :) ! My question is.. my beardie always closes it’s eyes when I come close. to cage .. since buying him/her the beardie has let me bath and give them water more than twice... is that a good or bad sign?! Also she doesn’t eat everyday but every other is that normal as well? my beardie also licks the air.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They do go thru relocation stress but lets go over your basking temps and UVB--- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them NO stick ons please -- UVB brand and bulb coil or tube and where in the tank is it?
Karrie

Brown2353

Original Poster
Thanks for replying well I just upgraded but my basking reaches between 99 and 102. and my UV 85 if i'm not mistaken, I have both stick on and digital, they both read the same temps. It's not mostly when I speak to my beardie does he close it's eyes.. As of now I just gave my beardie a bath changed his cage and now watching tv. my beardie does open it's mouth when the temp reaches 102 or usually takes a tip in the shallow water on the digital meter. then basks again. I have a digital meter that shows it's been the highest 102 and lowest 99. I stay reading it and checking temp, but since I got the bigger cage my beardie watches me a lot and never freaks when I enter the cage, just looks at me, but now I have a front door cage 40 gallen with front door access so I don't freak my beardie out it be chilling . when I bath my beardie it really calms down, Like i state i only bought hiim last friday. I have order the long strip light for it, and the heater one at night. it's suppose to come monday..

But I always go to the cage and talk to it( saying it been trying to get the sex they said to early :( I have names ready. but the beardies eyes are usually wide open and gazing at me but when I approach and start talking it seems to softly goes it's eyes .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The basking light should be a bright white light NO colored bulbs -- the long strip light you ordered please tell me the brand and the bulb? Is it a T 5 or a T 8 --- ? The placements of these two bulbs make difference
Karrie

Brown2353

Original Poster
Hi Karrie, I bought a zillion pro terrarium light but it’s not coming to Monday since my boyfriend upgraded the cage I’ve been watching it.. right now I have the basking light and the circle uv lights over my beardie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Your circle uvb is a coil? Please shut it off-- it's basically not doing any good and it's possible that is what's causing eyes to close --
Karrie

Brown2353

Original Poster
Thanks Karrie should I bring it back and exchange it for something else in particular ? Besides what I’m getting on Monday? But the coil light I can place on the other side for now until Monday to move it away from the eyes right? I also have another light it’s like to light together should I replace it for that?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
You need one good UVB - you ordered a pro terrarium? Is that a zilla? And one good bright white basking bulb--- do not get anything else for now-- the pro terrarium is a T 5 or a T 8?
Karrie

Brown2353

Original Poster
Hi Karrie it may be just the fixture .. but I wanna see about returning it and just replacing the uvb it’s costing me alot

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I don't believe it's the fixture if your talking about the UVB-- coils can cause eye issues please take a pic of the UVB -- the pro t is a T 8 or T 5
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok that's a T 8- replace the bulb w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 8 leave clear plastic cover off the fixture place inside the tank approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor
Karrie

Brown2353

Original Poster
Hi Karrie I replaced the 100 watts with the 150w and the uvb T8- I place on the opposite side see below
109856-1474478641.jpg
can you let me know if this is correct placement I also messaged you separately

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
T 8 needs to go inside the tank directly above the basking decor-- the screen blocks 30% of the rays-- take the clear plastic cover off the bulb replace the one int now w/ a better bulb Reptisun 10.0 T 8- if you need help hanging please ask I will post stuff to hang
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom