Help regarding decline in feeding

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzz123

109789-2561755684.jpg

Hi!!

Never posted on here and fairly new to having a bearded dragon.

Firstly, and I'm sure this gets asked a lot, my bearded dragon is around 7-8 months old I believe. She weighs 200g and is around 14 inches long. Is this an acceptable weight at this age? I will often look for answers regarding this question by looking at other posts and find it disconcerting because other dragons are much bigger.

Secondly, my main question is in regards to feeding. My bearded dragon was eating well (normally around 15 good size Dubia roaches a day) around two weeks or so ago on a diet which consists of Dubai Roaches as the staple. She was consistently putting on around 10g a week. The last two weeks this has declined and she will only eat around 3 roaches a day. Every few days I will give her waxworms which she still goes crazy for still.
I have tried to understand what the cause could possibly be. The only factor that has really changed is that I moved my office into the same room as her so she is seeing me a lot more than previous. There doesn't seem to be any issues regarding her stools currently either and her weight has not gone down. She has been a little more lethargic than she was previously, spending less time under her basking lamp and more time sleeping during the day.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Welcome to the forum! They all grow at different rates, so as long as her weight is stable or increasing over time, I wouldn't worry. She looks pretty good to me based on the photo. It's natural for them to go through phases in which they eat less. Their energy levels will also vary over time. This can be caused by shedding, lulls in their growth spurts, or just seasonal changes among others. Keep offering food as you normally do and let her take what she wants. The amount she eats will fluctuate and that's OK. I do suggest replacing the basking light with one that produces heat and bright white light rather than red light. This is to better imitate natural sunlight. Incandescent or halogen bulbs (doesn't need to be reptile specific) that produce adequate heat should do the trick.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Worrying just shows you care =). I understand the feeling. It can be tough to interpret what they want or what their mood is, but it gets easier over time. Feel free to post any questions you have and we'll be glad to help or try to put your mind to ease a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom