Weight Concerns

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muzz123

Hi

If someone has the time to help, I would greatly appreciate it.

I am always hyper concerned that I am doing something wrong and regularly check on how to improve as an owner.
I am constantly worried about my bearded dragons weight. She is around 7/8 months and weighs 200g. However, I have seen that some owners lizards are 300g + at this age. Is my dragon a little underweight for her age.
Below is her weight log that I take. You'll note that she has stalled in her growth in the last few weeks or so. She did go into brumation for the last two weeks and is probably getting back to normal but also did go through a period of not eating much.

08/10/2020 - 164g
15/10/2020 - 171g
21/10/2020 - 184g
29/10/2020 - 192g
05/11/2020 - 191g
19/11/2020 - 196g
26/11/2020 - 200g

I am struggling also to get her to eat a lot (shes never been a massive eater). Her staple is mainly dubias but she is not concerned in eating them at all.
Her temps are regularly around 40 c in her basking area and i use a long uvb strip light.

109789-7752985791.jpg
109789-3396595065.jpg

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Stop worrying, she looks perfectly healthy :)

She's gaining weight at a constant pace, and she looks a good weight/size for her age.

There is no rush to getting them full grown. Often times the dragons that are that large at such a young age are only that way because the owners let them gorge like the world is ending.

Health is the main goal, not weight gain or who can be the quickest to reach adult size.

Sounds like you have everything going well, and your girl is doing good. She knows what her body wants and needs, don't force more on her :)

-Brandon

Muzz123

Original Poster
Hi Brandon,

Thank you kindly. This really really helps. I have been getting myself in a little bit of a fit over this thinking that I may be doing something wrong. Like you said what's most important is their health.

Muzz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom