Ceramic heat emitter heat power

Status
Not open for further replies.

lucyll

I'm getting a beardie soon and was wondering if it's possible for a CHE to melt wire mesh. I'm looking to get the Reptile one 1200HT and I dont really want the mesh to be melted by my CHE & basking light lol
Also would the Reptisun UVB 10.0 60cm 24watt be too small for the tank?

Faenix

Unless it's on all day and night I don't imagine it would be possible to melt wire, though don't quote me on that. lol

I use a 150W Fluker's Ceramic Heat Emitter (100 will probably do, originally bought these for my hedgehogs), suspended about 5" off the lid because I have a top opening tank (ugh), which is attached to an Inkbird ITC-306T (Not the best, but really cheap) thermostat to control temps. The fixture alone only gets to about 140F.

While I'm not 100% up on my tube UVB, I've seen 60cm fixtures recommended for everything from a 40g breeder to a 120g.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Metal wire won't melt, but plastic will. CHEs get VERY hot to the touch. I suggest looking into Arcadia Heat Projectors instead. They provide a nice amount of heat but don't get nearly as hot on the surface as a CHE.

A 60cm UVB tube should be large enough for most enclosures. It is long enough to allow even basking when mounted over the basking area.

Faenix

CooperDragon":32e4gjo2 said:
Metal wire won't melt, but plastic will. CHEs get VERY hot to the touch. I suggest looking into Arcadia Heat Projectors instead. They provide a nice amount of heat but don't get nearly as hot on the surface as a CHE.

Just looked those up, I've never even heard of them before; seemingly only one random site in Canada sells them, but those sound significantly better. Are they like fairly new?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I think the Arcadia ones are fairly new. I've had mine for a few years now, but they were made by MegaRay. I don't think they are available from them anymore though. The only ones I've seen recently are from Arcadia but they are very similar. Swell Reptiles sells them in the UK and I think LightYourReptiles had them in the US, though they are closed at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom