Lost appetite / winter?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

Lost appetite / winter?

Postby sever555 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:15 am

Hello fellas!
My dragon is 6 months old and the last week he has lost lot of appetite on insects. He was ok eating frenzy before on dubias but now only eats about 3 to 4 super worms and almost completely refusing dubias. I've read that these months brumation comes. He is active in enclosure. Lightings and temps are fine. Also, he has been having a face shed this week. I don't know if it's the shed or brumation kicking in, but I'm concerned that he is too young to eat so little now that he is growing.
Thanks 🙂
sever555
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Lost appetite / winter?

Postby AHBD » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:07 am

Hi there, it's probably a combination of factors . He was a huge eater so if they grow quickly then they can suddenly lose interest in big feedings for a while. Factor in that it IS brumation time for many and also that he's shedding. Is he a big boy ? Post a few pics of him. Superworms can also get them a little spoiled + picky as well. Nothing sounds worrisome though, all normal behavior.
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby sever555 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:29 am

AHBD wrote:Hi there, it's probably a combination of factors . He was a huge eater so if they grow quickly then they can suddenly lose interest in big feedings for a while. Factor in that it IS brumation time for many and also that he's shedding. Is he a big boy ? Post a few pics of him. Superworms can also get them a little spoiled + picky as well. Nothing sounds worrisome though, all normal behavior.

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

[Click image to enlarge]

6 months old, 15.7 inch length and 350gr weight.
Hope he is all good, thanks for your time buddy
sever555
Newbie Poster

Postby AHBD » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:46 am

Oh yeah, he's very well fed and actually slightly overweight. You can reduce the insect feedings for him now so to lessen the chance of gout and other health problems coming on as a young adult. Many people see pics of dragons that are overweight and think it's normal but it's really better for them not to look like mini tegus. :) He's beautiful though !
AHBD
BD.org Sicko

Postby sever555 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 6:57 am

Alright thanks! So guess he is doing fine 😂 I'll wait to see how much he eats the next days. He ate only some greens today.
sever555
Newbie Poster

Postby Cazz » Mon Nov 23, 2020 3:57 am

He's a bruiser. 😂. Definitely a bit overweight. A little less food isn't going to hurt him. The previous responses are dead on. He's gonna be fine.
Cazz
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion