Basking Area Temps - Surface Temp, or Air Temp?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
When we say that basking temps for an adult beardie should be between 95 and 105F, are we measuring the surface temp of the basking spot or the air temp?

I say surface, but am trying to settle a difference of opinion in the Zen Fans FB group. :)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You want the temp of the actual basking spot not air temp since we always tell people to use a probe and NOT stick ons
Karrie

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yep, adjust the lighting based on the surface temp readings. Air temps will tend to be much cooler.

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Thanks, folks - that was precisely what I thought, but when I posted that, someone else shot back a reply that no, it's the AIR temps. Lots of conflicting info out there in the beardie community! :roll:

Hossinn

Is an infrared thermometer gun best for taking surface temp? I notice they are really inexpensive, which makes me question the accuracy from gun to gun...

Do most people ALSO use stick ons to determine air temp, or is basking surface area the only necessary reading?

Should I ALSO obtain a stick on that reads humidity, or is that generally going to be a non-issue in Southern California?

I notice there are 4 and 6 packs of Temp/Humidity gauges that get pretty wildly different reviews from users. Seems it’s really difficult to find consistency in many of the products we purchase these days...

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
i use all 3 for temps I have a IR gun they can be off by some materials of basking decor - I also use digital probe thermometers and stick ons for ambient and ball park figures of temps - I really dont rely on them as a whole-- I use a digital probe hygrometer placed on the back center wall of the tank for humidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom