Baby beardie fell asleep after eating!

Status
Not open for further replies.

KamataKun

I'm concerned. My new baby that I got yesterday ate for me today! He was basking happily, and ate some calciworms. But after giving him this at 4PM, he went to bed soon after on his hammock on the cool side!! I'm worried this means he won't digest well!

I think this is because he came from a breeder that was 3 hours ahead and he's not used to the time here. I'll be moving his last feeding to 2PM instead tomorrow, just to ensure he has that basking time. My lights go out at 8PM, so I thought I would have given him plenty of time to bask after eating, but I guess he had different plans. Will he be okay for the night on a full tummy? Since he was basking when I fed him, does that mean he'll have the energy needed to digest the food even if he moved to his cool side?

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
First of all, what is your setup, what lights are you using for heat and UVB, and what are the day and nighttime temps?

If he's gone over to the cool side, it's likely he's plenty warm enough, but let's see what the temps are first. Ideally not from stick on thermometers because those are not accurate, but take what you can and let us know what you measured with.

KamataKun

Original Poster
He's in a 20L since he's still a little baby. The light is a 75 watt and the UVB is a Reptisun 10.0 tube on top of the screen with a reflector Reptisun hood. His basking spot is 105 degrees measured with a temp gun after turning the light on for a few hours. At night, the temperature can drop to 70-72 degrees.

OpalAndZayde

Hatchling Member
Hi there :) I'd love to see pictures of your baby and setup. As far as lighting goes, your temps sound good. However you really need to put the UVB fixture under the screen, as the screen blocks most of what your dragon needs to get from the bulb. You willl also have to remove any plastic covering the bulb, as that blocks what your dragon needs too. Is he eating well? what do you feed him daily? Your light times sound fine, I once got a beardie who had a different time schedule than I had, and so it took him a while to get used to when he went to bed. And yes, bearded dragons can digest while sleeping, bearded dragons actually digest when it is cooler.

Good luck with your dragon <3

Abby

Lizard of Light

Hatchling Member
Beardie name(s)
Ardbert
As a quick addendum, the mounting inside rule applies only if you're using a fine mesh screen. If your screen has wide holes, top is okay. ;)

That said, I agree that the temps and such seem fine to me. Generally if beardies or any reptile are hanging at the cool end, they likely are feeling hot and just hanging there. That's why we have cool ends, after all. :lol:

Of course, shouldn't be a regular thing because that would mean basking site is too hot, so guess the question is, is this a one-off thing or is he there more often than basking?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom