Status
Not open for further replies.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
View media item 23241
109225-1369053442.jpg
She has always eaten good even during sheds so I’m not sure if it’s just a shed. Her body has always shed starting with her arms and tail, she has this one patch on the tail by butt that I’ve never seen. Are sheds unpredictable as far as how, when, and where the shed starts and ends? She rarely comes down from her basking ledge either lately. I feed her a variety of feeders so I don’t see why the sudden lack of enthusiasm for food. It’s been days of weird eating habits has me worried. Still has been eating salad here and there but yeah so I’m asking does this all play hand and hand together and what’s up with patch on tail

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
That is shed they all shed different places and at different times-- it is that time of year where eating slows down and theyre off --- just keep feeding her as usual and see what she does -- mine are off and on now w/ eating -- sleeping alot --
Karrie

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
i really appreciate it. Thank you that makes us feel much better. we had got the new viv and new basking decor too maybe I've stressed her out like that too. Good to know to not expect the same thing with shed everytime i see things like tail rot in conversations and we are so new at this. Also i know your one of the more informative folks weve dealt with and we really appreciate it. The decor switch and new screen top we want to make sure we have the uvb good now. We had it in the viv but when we got the much taller decor it seemed like she tried to stay out of it (maybe too much too close) because we have the T5 Reptisun 10.0 with reflector. Her basking spot with uvb out of the viv on the screen is 8 inches. with a few high spots that put her at 9-12 inches from uvb. with the lowest spots being 14-16 inches from bulb. But bottom line it is about 8-9 inches from where she basks. Is this good? sorry if the way i explain and write is confusing. When we had the t5 in the enclosure she was a good distance from it having no obstruction, but when we got this new decor she is so much closer to the top so she was like 6-8 inches from it and its a strong bulb no? so she had been squeezing herself into a corner i think to get out of the uvb. I can post pics too of the viv and decor and uvb when i get home

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
That would be helpful -- so let me clarify-- the T 5 is on top of the screen w/ 6-8 inches from decor? The screen should be a wide holed NOT a fine mesh like a screen door for this placement-- if the screen is NOT a wide holed type it needs to be inside the tank w/ 12-15 inches from basking decor
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Can you take the screen off? I am not sure about the screen -- I would do some rearranging w/ the decor pieces and the UVB ---- I would take a piece of decor and put it directly underneath the UVB from where its sitting -- if you can take the screen off the front of where its sitting so its unobstructed that would be good --- have the distance 12-15 inches from it as of this time I dont think shes getting much UVB at all --- she cant directly sit under it and the screen is blocking those rays so to be on the safe side so shes getting UVB I would do that --
Karrie

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I can’t take the screen off I’ll have to mount again and switch decor unless I can mount the t8 inside that close? Either way I’ll have to wait till tomorrow and get the supplies

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes you can do that w/ the T 8 -- the T 5 would need to go inside the tank -- the screen is too close together --- 6-8 inches for the T 8 --- and changed out every 6 months --
Karrie

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
I think that’s the route I’m gonna take because she likes this decor a lot and when I had the t5 inside she was trying to get out of it like it was to much 8 inches unobstructed do you think that caused her discomfort ?

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
Some things came up so I can’t get the t8 today so I have switched the uvb with basking bulb. I think the uvb hits her a lot more this way when she basks. I’m using a deeper dish so my light from basking bulb is not so narrow. Right now my only concern would be my bask bulb this close getting the temps too hot. We are @ 106.1 she never goes to her cool side usually anyway does that mean I don’t get her hot enough usually. If they sit in there basking all day long and don’t poop does that mean she hasn’t got hot enough. What’s too hot how will I know if she is too hot ? And here are the pics of how I have her lights @ the moment

View media item 23253
View media item 23246
View media item 23216

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, your screen with the t5 bulb is fine, no need to change at all. I do think her behavior is caused at least in part by the change to a new tank. The tail is fine as Karrie mentioned, I've seen plenty of sheds like that with my own dragons as well as on the forums. :)

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
thank you. she did not eat at all yesterday and she hasn't pooped in two days. she does not come down from her basking ledge but like once a day sometimes lately not at all why is this do you think? I'm worried about her she has not eaten much at all lately. and always black bearding. what temp do you keep your bearded dragon at? and i fear this thrive probe i have is inaccurate because i get different readings on my temp gun, its a cheap temp gun though lol if i have it to hot in basking spot will she move? what size tank and lights do you got. mines a 63 gallon 17-18 inches high. i use a 120 watt equivalent but uses 90 watts (flood light) and its gotta get through the mesh so i have it pretty close to her. do they not like the bulbs close should i find different light. i heard some people put there beardies as close as 6 inches to basking light is close ok? sorry i know that's a lot of questions

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I don't think she's getting burned since the bulb is not directly over the top spot. As for the black beard, do you mean just a little grey ? Is she in a different area from when she was in her old enclosure ? New sights can cause them stress.

Longfellow777

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Frey'ja
no same corner just different deocor but she sleeps on the decor and everything. Thanks for letting me know the distance for basking bulb dosent matter. its like a full blown half black beard. oh i see what you mean yeah i actually moved her into our room so we were closer to her, can us walking by her cage and stuff constantly mess her up ? and I've been reading brumation stuff this time of the year a lot of peoples beardies lose appetite and shes in a shed. but don't they hide and stuff like that during brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom