Barely eating, almost 7 months old..

Status
Not open for further replies.

sever555

Hi guys. First things first, my bearded dragon is almost 7 months old, around 350gr of weight and 16.1 inch length.
While he was smashing them insects, suddenly around October he started eating less and less... now he is barely eating, like 1-2 superworms a day or 1 dubia (denies crickets, even waxworms lol). He is eating less greens, and some days now he hides and sleeps 4-5 hours before the lighs go off..
Now ... I think that the mistake was mine because I left him sleep at night temperatures of 66.2 F and an expert told me that I should raise the night temps to 73-78 F. I fixed that with ceramic heater. Has his brumation insticted kick in? I think that he is very young to go through this phase, he is still growing.
I raised the temps a bit more and change the daytime to 12hrs instead of 11 but I dont think that it is gonna work.
I am very worried and stressed to be honest. And lost.
Thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please go over the tank lighting --- UVB and basking temps and how your taking the temps-- dragons like it cool and dark at nite -- 78 degrees is too warm - the 66 was good unless your tank is getting below 65 at nite I would not run the CHE
Karrie

sever555

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3fcl3i3g said:
Please go over the tank lighting --- UVB and basking temps and how your taking the temps-- dragons like it cool and dark at nite -- 78 degrees is too warm - the 66 was good unless your tank is getting below 65 at nite I would not run the CHE
Karrie

UVB: Terra Exotica Compact Desert 10.0 23W
Basking temp: 100.4 -104
I am taking the temps with a digital thermometer with probes.
He started eating less before I run the CHE.
Also, his tank is 47" x 19.6" x 19.6"

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the compact UVB -- they are inadequate -- for a 75 gallon tank you would need a 36" or a 24" long tube fixture w/ reflector -- I recommend a 24" fixture since you dont want him hiding from the UVB - get a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 bulb - depending on the screen on top you could place it on top but that depends on the screen - if its a fine mesh screen like a screen door it needs to go inside the tank if its a wide holed type screen it can sit on top --- please get this replaced ASAP -- UVB lighting is crucial to the over all health of the dragon
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes UVB and your basking temps are the most important things in the tank --- and the coil bulbs are inadequate --- please get it changed out let me know what you end up w/ as far as the bulb T 5 or the T 8 but I do recommend the T 5 --- it is a stronger bulb -- and for a 75 gallon tank you need the T 5 --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom