Unresponsive dragon need advice

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bluepeel

Hello i have a bearded dragon named Mars. I took her to the vet a few weeks ago because she wasn't eating as much as normal. We got a fecal done and she had pinworms and we were given pancur to dose every other week and benebac to give daily. Just a few days she started having diarrhea multiple times a day and stopped eating. Just yesterday she started acting very strange. Walking in circles with her head up walking into the walls of her enclosure and just not herself. Today she is completely unresponsive. Shes breathing , if i pick her up shes just limp. If she does move its not normal. I called the vet and they recommended just sticking with the medication and she should get better. There is only one other reptile vet in my area and they are closed until Monday.

Her cage is a 2'x2'x4' enclosure i built. Reptisun 10 t5 bulb basking area is at 100-106. Any advice is greatly appreciated

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
What is the dosage on the panacur? so you've given her two doses of the panacur? Did the vet give you prefilled syringes?

Can you post a picture of your setup and your dragon?

How old is she?
What is her weight in grams?

-Brandon

Bluepeel

Original Poster
She is about a year and a half old, 412 grams.
The dosage was .25cc on the pancur and they were prefilled syringes.

109810-4575396832.jpg

109810-4410368367.jpg

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Poor thing she really doesn't look good.

Ok so that dosage is ok. How much benebac are you giving her?

When is the last time she ate at all?
Can you go over what her typical diet looked like before all this started to happen?

Her mouth being open like that, does it look like their is a lot of mucous in her mouth? Or is she making any clicks with her breathing at all?

Sorry for all the questions, just need a lot of info to start ruling out things and suggest a best course of action.

-Brandon

Bluepeel

Original Poster
A pea size of the benebac. I syringe fed her today some dubia roach and collard greens blend. He diet has been dubia roaches, collard green, few different types of squash. And i haven't noticed any clicking and it doesn't look like there is too much mucus in her mouth

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well for now I'd probably nix the panacur all together. And most likely the benebac too as it doesn't seem to be helping her.

Can you get your hands on some of this?
https://www.amazon.com/Oxbow-Critical-Care-Supplement-1-Pound/dp/B0021WRJFE/ref=sr_1_2?crid=32SMGGCU5HUZW&dchild=1&keywords=critical+care+herbivore&qid=1605901923&s=pet-supplies&sprefix=critical+care+%2Cpets%2C241&sr=1-2

It will help provide nutrients to your dragon and you won't need to blend up your own bugs.

When you are syringe feeding, you need to make sure that you are aiming the syringe into the side of the mouth, and going slow. Don't aim it straight back otherwise you greatly increase the chances of aspiration.

I'll ask someone else to stop by too and give their opinion.

-Brandon

Bluepeel

Original Poster
I can definitely get some of that. I am worried she might have ADV because of the weird behavior, do you think that might be a possibility i should get her tested for?

Edit: and she just now tilted her head up and did a gasping thing

Bluepeel

Original Poster
She keeps arching her whole back up, stiffens up and opens her mouth wide then goes right back to being limp now

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, I'm so sorry that you are going through this. :( It does sound like possible ADV, especially since nothing else in her care would cause such drastic symptoms. Can you get her tested ASAP ? If your vet can't do it, one of the mods. here is an expert , Tracie [ username Drache613 ] works with the lab that is trying to find a cure. That lab she is affiliated with can do the test very low cost if you need. Tracie can give support as well. Best wishes, so sorry and hope there will be some way to get her better !

Bluepeel

Original Poster
i appreciate the responses but sadly i believe she has passed after those episodes which i believe could have been seizures. I cannot visibly see her breathing as i used to. I placed her on her back and she just layed there limp and i gentky opened her eye to shine a light but there was no reponse. I will leave her in her cage for a day to be 100%

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh no, I'm so, so sorry. :( How very sad for you to go through this, my heart just breaks for you. I know this is devastating, all I have is to offer my deepest sympathy. :(

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry, your last updated sounded like death throws and once it progresses to that it's too late usually.

It still would be worth testing for ADV so you can know for sure if it was a factor.

-Brandon

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so so sorry that you lost your girl, that sounds so devastating. :cry:
I really hope that there wasn't more to it than just the meds given, from the vet. The dose
looks fine to me, but was anything else given at the vets?
My sincere condolences to you.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom