my girlfriends beardie

Status
Not open for further replies.

caliskater

so my girlfriend has had a bearded dragon for 2 and a half years and i just met her last month, but before she met me she had very little to no knowledge on bearded dragons, and she housed him on her window all day and all night and in july he stopped eating and pooping (and it’s not brumation cause he usually starts about november decemberish), and the whole time she’s had him he’s has moved very little and pretty much only to get food that’s been hand fed to him, and so i told her to put him in a enclosure, and so she went home late that night and put him in a enclosure and turned on his basking light, and a hour later he pooped for the first time in 3 months and it was green and the size of her palm, the next day she witnessed him move around for the first time and so many other activities most bearded dragons do everyday, but we are very curious on what to look for in him now, mbd? respiratory issues? digestive issues? please try to help me

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
At 2 and a half years he is fully grown so not much to do about that. He should be on a diet that is mostly a variety of veges. This list provides some good ideas, but go with whatever looks fresh at the store and try to find some favorites. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html My guy loves squash cut up into small worm shapes. That works well for hand feeding too.

I would focus on getting the temperature gradient set up just right in the new enclosure and invest in a high quality UVB light like an Arcadia 12% T5 and set that about 12'' above his basking area. Then give him some time to adjust to the good lighting.

If he is used to being free range, then he can come out and roam around once he's gotten used to the new lighting. You can set up basking spots in the house for him to go warm up under. That's something best saved for when he is completely healthy though, as an enrichment tool.

Keep track of his weight and make sure that remains stable or increases. With a healthy diet and good lighting, I'd expect that overall his weight and health will improve. It's good to keep a log of that though.

Can you post some photos of him and his setup? That will help give a better idea of his overall condition and allow me to provide some ideas for optimization. You can upload photos here https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ and post them to your thread using the XIMG button when you reply.

Moved by moderator from Off Topic to Health.

caliskater

Original Poster
ok i posted 2 before he had an enclosure and 2 after, and he’s in a 20 gallon right now unfortunately

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Please get him out of the 20 gallon tank even if you haft to move him into a plastic tote like a 40 gallon--- he needs to be in a tank of 75-120 gallon -- look on Craigslist or FB market place -- look for one has front doors and if you find one make sure you sanitize it real good w/ F 10 -- Rescue or Zoo Meds Wipe Out --- for a 20 gallon tank you need to use a T 8 the T 5 is going to be too strong --- please let us know what you get so we can help you place it --- you can get a 24" fixture Zoo Med it comes w/a 5.0 bulb you can use that bulb on the 20 gallon tank but he really should be moved ASAP
Karrie

caliskater

Original Poster
ok so she is refusing to take this poor guy to the
vet and she won’t put him in a proper setup, and she’s improperly housing a ball python, and it turns out she had 3 leopard geckos and 3 bearded dragons within the last couple years, meaning 8 reptiles and 2 remain, what should i do? report her?

ComicBookMama

Sub-Adult Member
caliskater":fbb9ntm0 said:
so my girlfriend has had a bearded dragon for 2 and a half years and i just met her last month, but before she met me she had very little to no knowledge on bearded dragons, and she housed him on her window all day and all night and in july he stopped eating and pooping (and it’s not brumation cause he usually starts about november decemberish), and the whole time she’s had him he’s has moved very little and pretty much only to get food that’s been hand fed to him, and so i told her to put him in a enclosure, and so she went home late that night and put him in a enclosure and turned on his basking light, and a hour later he pooped for the first time in 3 months and it was green and the size of her palm, the next day she witnessed him move around for the first time and so many other activities most bearded dragons do everyday, but we are very curious on what to look for in him now, mbd? respiratory issues? digestive issues? please try to help me

Good for you for helping your girlfriend learn better dragon husbandry. CooperDragon's advice is spot-on... follow it, and your girlfriend's dragon is bound to show improvement. Hope he doesn't have any critical issues a vet would need to help resolve! He sounds like he's heading in a better direction.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunshineP95
Top Bottom