Vet visit

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
I recently took my beardie to the vet for a check up to see if he was good to brumate. He about 14 months old, and was starting to show healthy and natural signs of brumation, so I decided to see if he was ok to do so. I took him in, they took him inside, and I waited in the car. They came back and said they gave him a coupledewormer to be "safe". They didn't take a fecal, as he hasn't pooped in a week or two, so they just gave him a few different parasite treatments. i know this won't kill him, but I don't want him to be treated for something unless I have a reason for thinking that he needs to be treated. He wasn't really showing signs of parasites, and seemed really healthy. His last stool was really healthy, his poop was well formed and a healthy color. HIs urate was also white and nice and formed. I understand that I am not a vet, but I wished that I could have known what was going on before they gave him multiple parasite medications without any previous reason. They also told me that they don't need to brumate, and that I should stop the process. They said that I should turn the lights on for 14 hours a day, and raise the temperatures so that he doesn't brumate. I wasn't "forcing" him to brumate. He just grew more tired every day and ate less and less, sleeping in his hides. He maintained his weight, and wasn't showing any signs of being unhealthy, so I allowed him to continue, lowering the lights little by little. I monitored his health very closely to make sure this wasn't something else. Have I been doing everything wrong? I am not new to reptiles, so I know the basics, but I do admit that I can get things wrong. I don't want to be the person to completely go against everything the vet says just because I don't want to admit that I'm wrong. I would be completely open to these new opinions, but I wanted to get a second opinion.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well that is extremely frustrating to hear.

I'd be ripping into that vet and never going back. You NEVER administer any type of medication unless it's needed. You don't just do it just in case, and especially not in the absence of any possible symptoms.

We see it time and time again that these types of vets end up causing much more harm than good. I would demand to know exactly what was given and in what doses. Some dewormers are relatively mild, but some are very harsh and can have lasting effects on the gut flora.

In regards to their advice about brumating, just ignore everything they told you. Get the info you need from them, (the medicines given) and never return.

Really wish vets didn't act like this.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's too bad that some vets still don't understand brumation . Your dragon was doing exactly what his internal clock + instincts were telling him to do. Hopefully he will just get comfy + go back to winding down for a short or long beardie nap. It's perfectly fine and you were on the right track. My 2 boys are sleeping now over a month and I just keep the lights on for about 8 hours. They stay solidly asleep until they decide to wake up. It's O.K to wake them if they will stir by removing their hide/log and offer a little water dripped on their snout. Just don't leave any part of their tank wet + be sure your beardie is dry as well. Please post an update about any new developments or concerns. :)

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
As expected, these medications are really messing with him. He has had severe diarrhea every day since the visit. I didn't have any problems with him before the visit, but ever since, he's been very stressed and unwell (dark coloring; diarrhea; etc.). I know that the medications do that, which is why I wish the vets didn't just give him the medicine without testing beforehand. I have been looking into probiotics, but I am worried that I will mess up the dosage. I wanted to get some soy yogurt, but none of the stores anywhere near me sell or ship it. Not sure if he would eat it anyway, as he is refusing all kinds of foods. Any recommendations? At the moment, I am making sure he is staying hydrated and keeping an eye on his symptoms.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Call the vet find out what was administered so Tracie or AHBD can help w/ what to give - they have now made him sick ---- I would be looking for new vet --- www.arav.org
The vet was out for money it sounds like --
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
That's too bad, do you have the paperwork from the vet that state which meds. were given ? If not, ask them to send you a copy ASAP and also lodge a complaint and ask for a refund. Send him internet articles on brumation and that it IS natural and that what the vet did by giving meds was improper practice. You might leave a warning review on his website as well. So has your beardie been somewhat sick just from the meds.given on that day or did you give him any more ? Again, please find out what they were. For now you can get some Fluker's Repta boost at a pet store and you can order probiotics from Tracie at :
http://www.bug-de-lite.com/

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Looks like they gave him ponazuril and pyrantel, but I’m not sure how much of each. I know at least the ponazuril is most likely causing this, but I just wanted to prevent any possible complications that may come from these medications. Only the first dose was given (at the vet office) and I haven’t given him any more since. Definitely looking for a new vet. That exotic vet was the closest to me (still 2 hours away...). The next closest one is about 3.5 hours away, but I believe it should be worth it. Never taking him back to the other one.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Those meds. should have never been given together, Pyrantel is very harsh and if not dosed very carefully can cause illness. Was it given orally or by injection ? I VERY rarely hear of that being given to dragons at all. Just try to keep your dragon hydrated and get the probiotics, Tracie will tell you how to dose and it will be on the bottle. The sooner the better, hopefully he'll be feeling better. BTW did you take pics of his liquidy poos as evidence ? If not , be sure to do so and get your money back from that vet who made your healthy dragon sick. Shame that there are these types out there.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup, like I said from day one, rip them a new one. That's ridiculous.

-Brandon

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":22q9237c said:
Those meds. should have never been given together, Pyrantel is very harsh and if not dosed very carefully can cause illness. Was it given orally or by injection ? I VERY rarely hear of that being given to dragons at all. Just try to keep your dragon hydrated and get the probiotics, Tracie will tell you how to dose and it will be on the bottle. The sooner the better, hopefully he'll be feeling better. BTW did you take pics of his liquidy poos as evidence ? If not , be sure to do so and get your money back from that vet who made your healthy dragon sick. Shame that there are these types out there.

I believe orally. There was a greenish liquors on his mouth when I got him back. Very disappointed to hear this. Getting probiotics today and hope that his conditions improve. Would the repta boost high amp boost and appetite stimulant be good? That’s all my pet store carries, though I could always order and wait a few more days

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I've never used Repta boost but I've only heard good things about it. It's up to you if you want to get a small bottle, I would get it and mix with a little water. He should eventually feel better, poor guy, and I feel for you because you naturally thought it was a good idea for a vet visit before brumation. It seems that it's always better just to let them a beardie do what is totally natural for them this time of year. A vet can mess that up and waste your money .

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1wqtgnx1 said:
I've never used Repta boost but I've only heard good things about it. It's up to you if you want to get a small bottle, I would get it and mix with a little water. He should eventually feel better, poor guy, and I feel for you because you naturally thought it was a good idea for a vet visit before brumation. It seems that it's always better just to let them a beardie do what is totally natural for them this time of year. A vet can mess that up and waste your money .

I really appreciate all of the help I have received on this topic. I second guessed the vet and had my doubts, but I really trust this forum and site. Thank you for all of your help! I will try the repta boost, since it is the fastest option for me. Hopefully things get better very soon. Again, thanks for the help!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
You're welcome, please keep this thread updated. Wishing the best for you + your beardie !

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Quick update. I have been trying to feed him the probiotics. I drip some on the edge of his nose for him to lap up. He obviously does not enjoy it, but I’m hoping that it helps. Anyways, it seems as if his condition is getting worse. I don’t know if I’m just being paranoid. He seems to be losing weight at the base of his tail. He has dips at the base of his tail, but he doesn’t seem to be losing weight anywhere else on his body. This was very recent, as yesterday he looked fine. Maybe just the lighting? He has also been sleeping with a black beard. It goes away by morning, but his beard is completely black for the majority of the night. He does sleep in odd positions, so I guess that could be the cause of it. Could this be stress? He hasn’t really been very happy with me recently, and I don’t know if that’s him not liking the pro biotics or him not feeling well. He’s definitely not his usual self. I don’t want to jump to conclusions and say that it’s liver failure, as some were suggesting elsewhere, but I also don’t want to ignore this. His condition has only worsened since the vet visit, and so far I haven’t seen the pro biotics kick in. I know patience is key right now, but I’m worried about my lil man! Miss him and want him to get back to his “normal self”.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont know exactly what is going on but the all nite black beard does not sound good-- please go over your lighting in the tank -- are you using any colored bulbs ? What are you using for a UVB? Please no coils-- basking temps what are they and how are you taking them? NO stickons--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom