Jurassic Natural Australian Substrate

Status
Not open for further replies.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
More like Jurassic rip off!

20 lbs for 40 bucks. You can get a 50lb bag of play sand from home depot for less than 5 dollars.

I promise you, there is nothing in that bag of sand that will give your dragon any more benefit or any more risk than the 5 dollar bags of playsand you can get at any home improvement store.

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Claudiusx":fzxcfu2s said:
More like Jurassic rip off!

20 lbs for 40 bucks. You can get a 50lb bag of play sand from home depot for less than 5 dollars.

I promise you, there is nothing in that bag of sand that will give your dragon any more benefit or any more risk than the 5 dollar bags of playsand you can get at any home improvement store.

-Brandon
They sold this for 10lbs for 14$ on Amazon . Its soil from Australia not a RIP off when playsand can cause cancer from crystalline this is one of the best substrates . ReptiFiles itself have reviewed it

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wickedpogana":3gkrxtyx said:
playsand can cause cancer from crystalline
You are mistaken. Mainly because crystalline is an adjective, not a noun. Therefor it can't cause cancer anymore than "quick" or "loud" can cause cancer.

It is a rip off. There is nothing in that bag of sand that is going to give more benefit than any other bag of sand. So why pay 20x more money for the same thing?

Unless you can explain in better detail why you think this bag of australian sand has any benefit?

-Brandon

Wickedpogana

Juvie Member
Claudiusx":34ue2tfs said:
Wickedpogana":34ue2tfs said:
You are mistaken. Mainly because crystalline is an adjective, not a noun. Therefor it can't cause cancer anymore than "quick" or "loud" can cause cancer.

It is a rip off. There is nothing in that bag of sand that is going to give more benefit than any other bag of sand. So why pay 20x more money for the same thing?

Unless you can explain in better detail why you think this bag of australian sand has any benefit?

-Brandon
Crystalline silica dust is known to cause cancer when worked with and will when your living on it and breathing it in and licking it all the time and playsand is pretty much washed or bleached crystalline silica . Some sand is toxic like calcium sand so yeah some sand can be good some can be bad this happens to be the best .

HippieLizards

Gray-bearded Member
Beardie name(s)
Daisy, Loki, Rocket, Phoenix, Mulder & Scully. Non beardie pets: Stan (Leo) Cayde (Hognose) Tillery (cat)
Wickedpogana":857yq64u said:
Claudiusx":857yq64u said:
Wickedpogana":857yq64u said:

-Brandon
Crystalline silica dust is known to cause cancer when worked with and will when your living on it and breathing it in and licking it all the time and playsand is pretty much washed or bleached crystalline silica . Some sand is toxic like calcium sand so yeah some sand can be good some can be bad this happens to be the best .
Bad sand, good sand, best sand, whatever. I wouldn’t trust it, the risks of most sand outweigh any positives.

Even if it does encourage them to dig and stuff, there’s many alternatives to that.

I checked it out online for a bit, but I consider it far too expensive for what it supposedly is. I lean toward skeptical when it comes to product claims, and wouldn't doubt it if the substrate in those bags don't originate from anywhere near Australia.

Hmm.....an old buddy of mine I met back in high school when he was a foreign exchange student is Australian. Now I'm thinking about trying to talk him into going out to OG Pogona Vitticeps turf with a shovel and mailing me a large box of sand/dirt/whatever he digs up ?.

MissCutiePatootie

Hatchling Member
KamataKun":24oqoagf said:
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/jurassic-natural-australian-desert-dragon-habitat

Has anyone here tried this with their beardies? It's substrate taken directly from central Australia and boasts about being the most natural substrate since it's from where the beardies live. I hear it's selling at Petco now, and I would like insight before I buy it and use it for my future beardie.

I think it's a very cool idea for enrichment for a healthy beardie. It's expensive yes. But if it's worth it to you then why not! However, I would hold out until your dragon is fully grown before using loose substrate. Young dragons intestines have more curves making it more difficult for things to pass through until they are larger in case they did happen to eat some. It's better to be on the safe side first and then open up to it when the dragon is appropriately sized. If this is something that really interests you, check out these links!

Reptifiles review on this particular sand:
https://reptifiles.com/product-review-jurassic-natural-australian-desert-dragon-habitat/

Reptifiles take on impaction and causes, along with talk about animal welfare. Has a video if you prefer to watch rather than read!
https://reptifiles.com/does-loose-substrate-cause-impaction/

Reptifiles tips for decorating/enriching your dragons enclosure:
https://reptifiles.com/bearded-dragon-care/bearded-dragon-decorations-roommates/

An article about what, how and why environmental enrichment is so important for our pets!
https://rainbowsnakes.tumblr.com/post/119229812584/reptile-enrichment-what-why-and-how

I hope that helps you make a decision. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mangobango4
Top Bottom