Claud The Backyard Farmer (self proclaimed)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I use urbanfarmer too. Bought Iowa native wildflower seeds from them a few years ago and now have a thriving garden full of wildflowers throughout the season.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Awesome! Flowers is something that I need to get more of around our house. Lots of plans, little money lol.

Well I pulled up my potato plant today. I planted 2 potatoes in the pot. Only 1 grew into a potato, and I got 2 potatos back... talk about disappointing lol.

All of my seeds that I planted in the seeding trays have sprouted and I've already started getting them used to the outdoors.

Carrots came in today, so I went ahead and planted all the carrots where I planned. I also planted some broccoli seed directly into the bed just to see how it goes.

The pea bed has it's first sprouts today!
The corn bed has 2 little sprouts too.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Got some pictures of whats going on in the garden today.

31715-5243227705.jpg
The pea bed. Most everything has sprouted now. The one variety (will have to check later) is definitely growing quicker than the other. That's good. Bit of a stagger for harvest hopefully. The bed is way over planted. Germination rate was great. Basically 100% will be thinning out the weakest peas.
Here are some close ups of the peas:
31715-7520172945.jpg
31715-7520172945.jpg
31715-4944189396.jpg
31715-9205462308.jpg
Probably around an inch tall or so right now.

Here are some seedling trays. First is kale and lettuce blend
31715-4679224314.jpg
31715-4234209396.jpg
This one above is broccoli. The setup in my closest wasnt bright enough and they got leggy, so I pulled most and left some I thought might be OK. And I replanted the ones I pulled. Thats why some of the cells look empty.

31715-4500963246.jpg
This bed is 2 rows of carrots and 1 row of broccoli. Nothing sprouting here yet but I just planted it a few days ago.

And here is the experiment corn bed. Got a few corn shoots. Should get more today as it's supposed to be quite warm.
31715-2688798430.jpg
31715-3458104669.jpg

And lastly, our blueberry bushes are doing well. I'm pretty sure they are larger than when we first got them. They definitely have new growth.
31715-2010783130.jpg
31715-2693346129.jpg

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Pea progress:
First picture is earlier this week.
Second picture is yesterday. And they've grown even more today.

31715-6464085979.jpg
31715-3423403870.jpg
31715-9938036133.jpg

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Pea update
31715-2331813812.jpg
Was real windy the other day so now they have started to grab onto the string trellis.
31715-1494470416.jpg
31715-300302883.jpg

And what in tarnation! Looks like something decided to lay some eggs on my lettuce seedling ha.
31715-6150324270.jpg

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Not spiders, probably some moth or butterfly. I might just put that plant in a jar so I can catch whatever hatches from it just to see.

My seedling trays really are doing worse than what I direct sowed. In my climate I don't think there is much purpose in starting in seedling trays. At least that's what I'm seeing so far with what I've tried.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
They haven't hatched yet but i have been finding green worms eating my broccoli plants in the seedling trays. Been squishing them as i find them.

Pea and corn update
31715-7130631981.jpg
31715-8986984323.jpg

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
The one variety of peas started flowering last week. Got a few pods growing today.
31715-8797918390.jpg
31715-1475188686.jpg
31715-9217107347.jpg

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
Picked a few pea pods over the past week or so. Only the one variety has produced, but the other variety is about twice as big, it just hasn't fruited yet.
Big fat juicy peas ha.

-Brandon

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Very nice Brandon, I know it's good to see the " fruits " of your labor. :) What a great and beneficial hobby to have started. Next year you'll have " Brandon's backyard bounty blog " on Youtube for a wider audience and to show people how it's done ! Any ideas for you + the fam's favorite recipes ? I like peas in a tuna casserole or a home made pot pie.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
That first pea variety really didn't end up producing much, or growing very big. I feel like our bipolar weather had something to do with it. 100 one week, 60 the next, then 90 the next. That and I might have overwatered again, i'm not sure.

The second variety continued to grow taller and taller though. And it started to flower last week. Yesterday we saw our first pea pod forming on it. These are supposed to be big pods so we will see :)

-Brandon

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I'm envious of your progress toward productivity.

Despite all the wet and very story weather here since June , especially in the last couple of months , even had flash flooding and localised flooding and more rain than usual for spring , it's all been pretty much coastal and not made much difference to the local dams on the upper valley so we are still under water restrictions ( only allowed to use hoses to water gardens , no fixed sprinklers or drip systems permitted in the Lower Hunter, Central Coast, Lake Macquarie or Greater Sydney areas without a permit = very hard to get ).
Heck it's been more like winter here this October and November ( only 16 degC max yesterday , gales and torrential rain and thundering , deep Tasman low off coast AGAIN ) . This time last year we were getting most days over 30 degC and regular scorchers , crazy weather, aircon still running reverse cycle during most days and at night.

My lawn is growing like crazy with the rain , and the occasional hot sunny day so I'm having to hold off on planting the grow beds.

The slugs ,snails and catepillars have been feasting on my winter seedlings and cuttings . BUT I wont be using poisons to control these , I don't want to poison the birds and lizards who are likely eating these pests.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Original Poster
It hasn't been too productive this go around.

I don't think any of my broccoli are gonna make it. Even if they do, they are way behind schedule I think. Every day I had to go and pick off these little caterpillar things eating holes through all the leaves on the broccoli. It was bizarre, there was only ever 1 per plant. It was like if there was already one on one plant, it would travel on down the line until it found a plant without one of these green devil bugs on it.
They pretty much decimated it.

Carrots are growing well though. So is the corn, but it's also way behind.

Huge wind storm yesterday. The 1 variety of pea had grown taller than the netting I made (4 feet+) and the parts of the plant that had grown higher than that got blown and folded over. Shame because their were quite a bit of flowers on the top parts.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom