Threw up water?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone, I might be a really paranoid mom...

Rango went to the vet last week for a regular health check, had a tiny bit of coccidia but otehrwise was perfectly healthy.

He started his coccidia meds today so I was giving him a bath because I heard it can dehydrate them. He drank a ton of water, and swam around trying to get his shed off, I took him out and on the way back to his cage he seemed a little frantic and then opened his mouth and threw up a bunch of water. He seemed to breath a little weird for a minute or so after and was very clingy. I held him at an angle and nothing came out of his mouth or nose and he went back to normal breathing and a normal beard.

A few minutes later he ran down to his food bowl and ate about 10 bugs and then went back to bask.

I am just so paranoid and scared, he means the world to me. I called 5 different vets no exotics on call today.

I dont even know if he needs a vet, or just needs to be observed. I dont hear anything in his lungs when he is breathing and he seems normal right now. Could it of just been water held in his beard? Or he got too shaken up when I took him out after drinking?

Im in a panic, has this ever happened to anyone and is there anything else i can do?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Unfortunately, this is classic behavior when they drink too much water, then run around or
eat something right afterwards. Maybe try to limit how much he drinks at one time so he
doesn't get so bloated.
Since he did throw up some & was a little stressed afterwards, I would keep an eye on him
just to be sure he doesn't start showing any signs or symptoms of a respiratory issue. It
doesn't sound like he really aspirated any water but you can be proactive & keep him a bit
warmer in his tank overnight, to help boost his immune system some. Usually a good temp
to keep him at would be 75-80F or so.

Tracie

Tanyalove666

Original Poster
Thank you so much Tracie!!!! It was so scary but good to know that it’s common. He did great all night basking and eating totally normal! I did bump his temps to about 75 last night and he seems happy this morning.

Thank you so much!!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You are welcome! :D
When things like that happen, it definitely scares you to death I agree! I am glad to hear he
is happy & basking, too. Just keep his temperatures boosted for a few days & he should be
just fine.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chad03109
Top Bottom