Overweight and limp tail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Emilio

Hi Guys!

We like to think we’re pretty up on all the Bearded Dragon to dos, our sweet Ori girl has had a tough time of it. We got her at a show and she was about a year old. They already breeded her twice. She was doing really well but then started having issues with egg binding and her bottom was literally coming out every time she pooped. So finally our vet said let’s spay her otherwise this will just keep happening. So we did and thank god she made it out ok but now she is very overweight has breathing issues like a never ending clogged nostril on one side and now her tail lays limp behind her as she walks or runs. We have had her to the vet many times for tests and they said she is fine, we had her on antibiotics and then a baytril nose flush and she was doing ok but now her gurgling snotty stuffed nose sound is back along with this limp tail that she seems sensitive about as you stroke down the tail. Anyone ever see any of these ailments before or have tips? I hate to have to bring her back to the vet if it’s just something that happens as they get older but poor girl I don’t know if she’s hurting or what?

Emilio

Original Poster
I posted a photo. It sure if you can see it. She is orange in color.
86552-3865024955.jpg

She has two uvb bulbs and a heat lamp on her with a cool side of her tank. 40 gallon. She has a great appetite, does great poops when she does them, and we try to get her to run around the house kind of do a lap at least once a day for a few minutes. And if the suns out she stays out a bit longer to get some sun.

Diet is dandelion greens, crickets, super worms, rasberrries. Mainly dandelion greens and flickers gut loaded crickets.

I just took her out for a bit and she’s got that gurgle sound again. It’s like she has a permanent cold/snotty nose. It just won’t go away. She’s been in meds for months until recently.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
What are you using for a UVB? Brand and bulb where in the tank is it and is it a coil or tube?
Karrie

Emilio

Original Poster
Hi Kerrie,

We use Exoterra coil bulbs. Below is an image of her set up.
There is one bulb in either side of her tank. My husband said maybe we’ll try replacing them.
86552-8636721796.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the coil UVB's ASAP-- they are inadequate- for a 40 gallon + tank I recommend a 24" fixture w/ reflector-- a Reptisun 10.0 bulb T 5 if the 40.gallon is 18" high--
Karrie

Emilio

Original Poster
It has a reflector in the casing I’m wondering if we should add another two bulbs. How do you measure the UV? If it’s to much or too little.

Emilio

Original Poster
We’re using the former reptiglow ten bulb. Sorry just trying to get as much info as possible. We bought these new bulb housings because we were told they are newer and better.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I am sorry but reptiglo is a bulb you want to stay away from - they cause too many health issues- the bulb I have recommended is one of the best on the market at this time
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Emilio":25wwf99l said:
It has a reflector in the casing I’m wondering if we should add another two bulbs. How do you measure the UV? If it’s to much or too little.
You would need to buy a solar meter and I think they are pretty expensive
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No I have no faith in Coils-- not a fan- if you want to stay w/ a coil get the Reptisun 26 watt -- it needs to be in a reflective dome approx 6-8 inches directly above basking piece w/ NO obstruction--- it needs to be replaced every 6 months-- but like I said I don't like coils and don't recommend them-
Karrie

Emilio

Original Poster
This poor girl cant catch a break. The vets we have gone to have tried everything and this poor girl just can not kick this what seems like a URI but vet says isn’t. Everyone is stumped. We are trying to come up with other solutions to hel her feel comfy and not have these issues anymore. Does anyone have suggestions? Our next find is colidal silver and a nebulizer, replacing her heat and up bulbs.

I have a video just not sure how to upload it.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please upload on youtube and then post the link in your message box -- Tracie and AHBD are gonna haft to help you w/ the URI issue-- do you have lab work you can post so Tracie can see it? Have you gotten rid of the coil bulb or did you stay w/ it? If not I would ditch the coils all together

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom