Tail rot??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all!

My juvenile baby is about 6 months old and is eating, drinking, and acting as he should. I noticed the end of his tail was darker than usual tonight and when I tried to touch it to get a better look he flicked his tail in a clear way that he does not want me to touch it. He normally has no issues with me touching any part of him so that is new and obviously uncomfortable for him.

I do watch him eat and often have the crickets contained for him to catch but nothing is perfect and some do escape. I try to count them as they escape to be able to find them later so I don’t leave them in the tank with him.

Is this tail rot? Or just a bite?? There’s a thinner part on the dark part of his tail and I am worried. If it is tail rot, what should be my next steps? I read warm soaks and potentially pain free neosporin??
108829-393671277.jpg
108829-2742080586.jpg

Thank you in advance!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Yes it look like a nip --- keep an eye on it you dont want the tail end getting darker and moving up --- get some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka is good and dip it in the honey --- it will kill any infection going on ---- PLEASE NO crickets in the tank --- they will go straight for that tail -- feed him in a different container or drop one - two at a time and let him eat them that way you know how many are in the tank ---
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hard to tell from the pictures, a bit blurry.

Is there actual damage to the tip of the tail?
If so, raw unpasteurized honey would be better to apply to it. But definitely don't let any crickets stay in the tank, as they will be attracted to the honey and nibble more at the tail.

-Brandon

Ilikebeards

Original Poster
Claudiusx":3t4vkv2v said:
Hard to tell from the pictures, a bit blurry.

Is there actual damage to the tip of the tail?
If so, raw unpasteurized honey would be better to apply to it. But definitely don't let any crickets stay in the tank, as they will be attracted to the honey and nibble more at the tail.

-Brandon
Yes, the end of his tail is thin and looks like it has been bit. I am grabbing honey and a new feeding bin tonight and will be applying the honey tonight as well! Thank you so so much! I appreciate it.

- Danielle

Ilikebeards

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2bbk11j6 said:
Yes it look like a nip --- keep an eye on it you dont want the tail end getting darker and moving up --- get some raw unpasteurized honey like Manuka is good and dip it in the honey --- it will kill any infection going on ---- PLEASE NO crickets in the tank --- they will go straight for that tail -- feed him in a different container or drop one - two at a time and let him eat them that way you know how many are in the tank ---
Karrie

Okay, I will def keep an eye on it! I am grabbing a feeding container tonight as well as some raw unpasteurized honey. There are no more crickets in his tank and I will be deep cleaning the whole thing tonight to ensure that before I apply the honey. Thank you so much for your quick and helpful response. I appreciate it!!

- Danielle

Ilikebeards

Original Poster
KarrieRee":94yqflal said:
Karrie

Hi! It has been a couple days and I have been feeding him in another container, keeping his cage extremely clean, and dipping his tail in honey about once a day. The infection has not spread from what I can tell but a portion of his tail looks like it did break off tonight. Is this normal with the infections or should I get him to a vet?? First photo is from tonight and the second one is from yesterday.
108829-3355670553.jpg
108829-9216868556.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Since it did break off keep putting the honey on it till it scabs over --- that way you know the infection is not spreading
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom