Lost appetite / winter?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sever555

Hello fellas!
My dragon is 6 months old and the last week he has lost lot of appetite on insects. He was ok eating frenzy before on dubias but now only eats about 3 to 4 super worms and almost completely refusing dubias. I've read that these months brumation comes. He is active in enclosure. Lightings and temps are fine. Also, he has been having a face shed this week. I don't know if it's the shed or brumation kicking in, but I'm concerned that he is too young to eat so little now that he is growing.
Thanks ?

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, it's probably a combination of factors . He was a huge eater so if they grow quickly then they can suddenly lose interest in big feedings for a while. Factor in that it IS brumation time for many and also that he's shedding. Is he a big boy ? Post a few pics of him. Superworms can also get them a little spoiled + picky as well. Nothing sounds worrisome though, all normal behavior.

sever555

Original Poster
AHBD":1ip9idqb said:
Hi there, it's probably a combination of factors . He was a huge eater so if they grow quickly then they can suddenly lose interest in big feedings for a while. Factor in that it IS brumation time for many and also that he's shedding. Is he a big boy ? Post a few pics of him. Superworms can also get them a little spoiled + picky as well. Nothing sounds worrisome though, all normal behavior.
108726-8276732964.jpg
108726-4772796789.jpg
108726-3718171236.jpg
108726-7494725506.jpg

6 months old, 15.7 inch length and 350gr weight.
Hope he is all good, thanks for your time buddy

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yeah, he's very well fed and actually slightly overweight. You can reduce the insect feedings for him now so to lessen the chance of gout and other health problems coming on as a young adult. Many people see pics of dragons that are overweight and think it's normal but it's really better for them not to look like mini tegus. :) He's beautiful though !

sever555

Original Poster
Alright thanks! So guess he is doing fine ? I'll wait to see how much he eats the next days. He ate only some greens today.

Cazz

He's a bruiser. ?. Definitely a bit overweight. A little less food isn't going to hurt him. The previous responses are dead on. He's gonna be fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zypted
Top Bottom