Chewing wood

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have now noticed for the pst 2-3 days that my bearded dragon is chewing on wood. He is fed 15 3/4 sized dubias everyday and baby food since he won’t eat actual greens. Could anyone tell me why he would be chewing on his wood hide? I had to cook it in the oven since he pooped on it and I wanted to get rid of anything that had bacteria on it, he never has done this before. Thanks again!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like he lacking something in the diet ---- what are your supplements?
Karrie

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
If supplements is vitamins and such, I give him repticalcium with D3. And time to time I will give him peaches without the skin. And he does get hungry do I will leave dried crickets in his bowl whenever he gets hungry. I just started leaving them in there today

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
I would change your staple feeder to LIVE ones --- and to dubia roaches -- they are better health wise - are you feeding salads ? Are you giving vitamins w / beta carotene?
Karrie

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
I feed him dubia roaches as his actual food, he eats 15 in a day and they are 3/4ths in size. And I don’t feed him salads because he doesn’t like to eat salads. I stick to feeding him baby food like squash, pumpkin, and pea purée. I’ll see about the vitamin though

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
When I give him the baby food I put it on the tip of his mouth and he tries to lick it off and that’s when I slowly will put some on his tongue. A lot of the time I’ll put the abby food onto the dried crickets and will hand feed it to him which he eats.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Can you post a picture of the piece of wood itself ? If there are any markings or holes that look like insects that might be why he's biting at it.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, it could be a nutritional issue, such as lacking in B vitamns or calcium or just that
his hide has areas on it that spark curiosity for him. If you can post some pictures that would
be helpful.

Tracie

StaTikNutS

Original Poster
Hi Im sorry I havent responded but as of right now he is continuing to chew on the wood, he literally tried eating it like a big dubia roach. And as of right now he is limping I am getting worried for his health. I am not sure what to do right now, he hasn't pooped in 1-2 days.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Take the piece he's chewing on out--- I would feed him live insects no more dried stuff- it's not in common for them to not poop for weeks-- and the pumpkin and squash should make him go-- please post a pic of him and his tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom