Beardie won't eat crickets anymore

Status
Not open for further replies.
Norbert is 7-8mo old and in the last 1mo refuses to eat crickets anymore. Up until then, he would eat 20-30/day. He used to eat tons of BSFL, but will only eat a few of those now each day. I've tried different worms recently just to see and he will eat 7-8 wax worms a day, but I've read that those aren't a good staple feeder.
My wife is very hesitant to let me get Dubias since we get occasional crickets that escape and my wife hates the idea of roaches loose in the house!
I'm thinking of trying hornworms, but I also read those are better for treats and not staple feeders.
As for veggies, he'll eat some kale and occasionally a berry, but not tons of veggies yet. I'm going to try other greens to see if there are others he' like.

Maybe he just needs variety? It's just weird that he won't even look at a cricket now. I thought he might be brumating since it's getting cold here, but I've kept an eye on the temps and added an under the tank heater for nighttime since it was getting cold. The lighting hasn't changed. He is still as active as always. I don't have a good scale to check his weight, but he seems to have slowed down in his growth and hasn't shed in a couple of months. Otherwise acts the same as always.

Any tips I haven't thought of?
Thanks as always!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Tell your wife that roaches are better than crickets and are not the escape artist crickets are --- they are a way better staple feeder than crickets ---- they dont chirp they dont stink like crickets and are way easier to care for-------------- please NO more wax worms only feed sparingly they can cause liver damage in the long run if fed too many and for too long a period ---please get rid of the under tank heater and get a CHE ceramic heat emitter --- if your using a 40 gallon tank I would say a 100 watt - you will need a dome w/ a ceramic socket --- you only need this if your tank is falling below 65 at nite ---
Karrie

goodefamily

Original Poster
Thanks - will keep trying to convince my wife that Dubias will be ok. The crickets do stink and escape a bit - I'll tell her about the benefits of Dubias over crickets. Hoping he'll go for those.
I'll keep pushing the BSFL until I can try some Dubias. What about Horn Worms? Are those better long-term than other worms (besides BSFL)?
Thanks for the heating advice - I'll look into the ceramic heat emitters!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like hes grown tired of the BSFL my dragon out grew them as well and wont touch them - I would recommend getting some silk worms --- www.reptilianarts.com --- they normally have bulk like 50 they come small but they have been out for awhile so I would get him some cupped they come w/ food - they are another great staple feeder you will need to clean the containers out daily - dump the frass out -- super worms are a great treat adding to the tops of salads -- horn worms are good to they are a great hydrating worm but grow very fast - if you order super worms from reptilian they do not come in a container they come in a butcher paper in a gunny sack so you will need a container w/ lid w/ holes for feeding - you can feed oatmeal / carrots - you can try meal worms feed sparingly as well - they can impact them if given too many the exoskeleton is hard on the stomachs - butter worms are good but you can only find them at www.mulberryfarms.com --- spendy on shipping they ship Fed Ex --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom