Please help!!!! Baby bearded dragon failure to thrive!

Status
Not open for further replies.

hhurley79

Hello,
I got my baby Phoenix about a month ago and it’s been an uphill battle since day one. She is approx 2-3 months old, just a tiny little thing. I just bought a scale and weighed her she is 5grams and 6 inches long. At first she wouldn’t eat which I was told is normal for the first few days as she gets use to her new home. She started eating but only like 4-5 crickets a day and she wouldn’t eat any if they were dusted. I was told to stop dusting them just so she will eat. I did and her appetite never increased. She went from 4-5 crickets a day to none. I was told to try feeding her with tweezers. I did that for 2 weeks or so making her very mad to the point she started attacking my hand and biting me every time I put my hand in her tank. I was then told to try various worms and Dubia and see if she will eat on her own. I got everything I was told to get. She had no interest in any of the worms but loved the dubia, or so I thought. She ate the first 5 I gave her no issues. I thought I was in the clear and she was just being a picky eater. Well she stopped eating those as well. Now she will not eat anything again. All she does is sleep. She stays in the exact same spot for hours if I let her. I brought her to the vet they said she is just a little dehydrated. Ive been giving her baths every couple of days since I got her. It’s to the point where if I put her in with bugs she will open her eyes for mere seconds and then close them again. Same with the bath, her eyes will be open as I’m putting her in the bath but then she closes them and just lays there with her eyes closed. I have tried everything! I started with a 40gal tank and then reduced it to a 20gal. I’ve tried various baby foods, no interest all she wants to do is sleep. Please help me I am out of ideas. Her basking temp on her log is between 96 and 106 depending on the part she lays on. Hot side of the tank is 100 cool side is 86. But she NEVER goes on the cool side. She just lays there and looks dead until I pick her up and then she open her eyes for a few seconds and then close them again. Currently I’m forcing her mouth open to give her baby food and water by syringe. She will clamp onto the syringe when it’s in her mouth but she never willing opens her mouth. Please help I don’t want my Baby to die!!! Any other ideas???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so you did not mention any UVB --- basking temps and UVB are the two most important things in the tank NO coils --- the basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer correct????????? NO stick ons they are inaccurate---- a 20 gallon tank is hard to keep temps in what wattage bulb are you using ---- NO colored bulbs please ---
Karrie

hhurley79

Original Poster
I do not have any colored lights just a 100 watt basking bulb and a Arcadia 12% D3 15 watt 18inch long UVB bulb. At night I also use a 100 watt ceramic bulb for heating purposes. The thermometer I’m using is a stick on but I also have been use a infrared thermometer to get accurate temps for her basking spot. Basking temps are between 95 and 107 depending where she sits on her log. It’s hotter in the spots right under the basking lamp.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The distance for the UVB should be 12-15 inches from basking decor - is it in the tank or top of screen? That is the distance for inside the tank --- if you have it on top of screen the screen needs to be a wide holed type - and distance should be 8-10 inches --- distance is crucial here and it should be directly over the basking decor - the screen will block out 30% of the rays -- can you please post a pic of him so we can see him -- I would also invest in a digital probe thermometer so you can make sure your temps are accurate -- you dont want temps above 110 --
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post-- make sure shes hydrated is she drinking from the bath? I would lay off of them too much stress--- you may haft to start syringe feeding her -- I am going to inlist some help here
Karrie

hhurley79

Original Poster
Her UVB in on top of a screen in the middle of the 20gal tank. I’ve been trying to find a housing where I can put it in the tank but have been having a hard time because the pet stores by me only sell the ones that go on top of the screen. Any suggestions where I can get one? It is about 9–10inches above her hide. I would also like to invest in a probe thermometer. I’ve been trying to find the best one but still not sure what’s the best one to get. Any suggestions? I have been syringe feeding her for 3 days now. Both food and water. I’ve been feeding her squash baby food every 2-3 hours and water every 1-2 hours. And I’ve still been giving her a 15 minute bath once a day. I’ve even mix her bath and drinking water with pedialyte (something the vet told me to do). When I put her in the bath she just sleeps so I’m not sure how stressed she is. Idk what else to do. I was not able to open the pic you sent me. But I will attach two pictures I just took this morning of her.[XIMG]109658
109658-5368860858.jpg
2769252444[/XIMG]

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The UVB is a T 8 or a T 5? It looks like a T 8 --- look on the bulb --- it will tell you-- NO cover over the bulb take it off you want the bulb exposed -- take the screen off as well - its blocking the UVB rays -- she does not look good - basking temps need to be 105 - 110 taking w / a digital probe or a IR gun - you can get a digital probe from your pet store -- https://www.petsmart.com/reptile/environmental-control-and-lighting/zoo-med-reptile-terrarium-digital-thermometer-14914.html?cgid=500202
They do not make fixtures just to go inside the tank -- take the screen off and place the UVB width wise across your basking area- you can butt the screen up to it so you can place the basking bulb next to it- so place the UVB at the end of the tank - get your decor piece 6-8 inches below it if its a T 8 you need to find out what bulb it is -- do you still have the box if you do take a pic of it
the basking temps and UVB are the two most important things in the tank
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
the fixture is fine and the bulb is a great bulb --- so use these to get it into the tank approx 6-8 inches directly above the basking decor piece get the fixture situated first then mess w/ the decor piece ---
3 M command Velcro fasteners- picture hanging wire –long plastic zip ties-- fishing line --- potted plant wire hangers --- TAK TY cable and hook ties these look like velcro strips they work great try Walmart --
Let me know if you need more help ---------- I just looked at the pic take the screen off the tank - leave it open and make sure there is NO clear plastic cover over the bulb --- set the fixture width wise on the tank and then butt the screen up to the UVB you want that UVB exposed and 6-8 inches from decor piece you can have the basking light and UVB all on one end --- let me know how it goes - your tank looks short in height thats why I made adjustments for the placement of the UVB
Karrie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry about your little one. Something very important, is she pooping and exactly how big are the dubias she ate ? Please a post a pic of the size next to a coin or next to your beardie. If they were too large she could be impacted. You're trying really hard to help her and I really feel for you. :(

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am sorry your baby is having a hard time, they sure can worry us to death. I agree, I am
thinking that the insects might possibly have been too large, which can cause impaction
issues. Are you able to get her to drink any water from a plastic dropper or syringe?
Try to keep her around 80 overnight right now, to help boost her immune system since she
isn't feeling well.
Your UVB lighting is good, so your baby should be receiving adequate UVB exposure. Let us
know how he is doing & about the size of the insects, too.

Tracie

hhurley79

Original Poster
I don’t have any left to send a picture but they were 3/8 and smaller. I have been giving her .1ml-.3ml of water with a syringe every 1-2 hours for 4 days now. She isn’t opening her mouth any taking it willingly either. All she wants to do is sleep. She will get up and reposition herself on her log from time to time. If she is impacted is there anything else I can do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Basking temps need to be 105-110 and correct placement of the UVB is crucial - the water is going to help -- does she look like shes straining to go to the bathroom- you can feed her canned pumpkin unsweetened applesauce or baby prunes to make her go to the bathroom - warm baths and messaging the stomach will help as well
Karrie

hhurley79

Original Poster
I just checked where she is laying with an infrared thermometer the basking temp is 108.5. You said pumpkin, will this work? If so do I need to dilute it or anything?
109658-5895224223.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom