MY NEW 6 MONTH BEARDED DRAGON BEEN SICK & DIAHREA

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just recently bought my new 6 month old beardie (Rango) on Sunday just gone from a girl on gumtree. I bought his whole set up too that he had been in previously. He was great on the Sunday and he went abit wild on a mealworms when we got home as he’s previous owner didn’t feed him that day. Ever since then he’s been ill. He was sick twice (undigested worms) so I tried giving him some greens but he hasn’t eat since Sunday but still drinking water when I bath him. He was been going to the toilet every time I bath him (and I give him general belly massages) he had been straining and his back legs had been shaking when he tries for a poo. Only today he’s had abit diahhea. He stays asleep all day and night and not moving much at all. He seems very weak and everytime I pick him up his legs flop. I’m so worried about him.

His set up isn’t amazing and I thought I’d let him settle before I get his new BIGGER Vivarium. He’s only in a 3ft Vivarium and I he’s previous owner did not use calcium powder. But I have been putting fresh greens in every day with calcium Powder in top but he never touches them. Just need help on what to do next. So scared incase I loose him to ill health ???

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Correct UVB and basking temps are the two most important things in the tank for their over all health -- what are you using for a UVB--- NO coils please --- I would start dusting the insects not the greens or salads -- you need him to start eating the salads now --- please get some BSFL do not dust them and use them and some super worms to lure him to the salad bowl --- feed salad first thing in the morning and add the BSFL and super worms 1-3 in front of him to the salad bowl -- you will need a glass or ceramic bowl so the insects cannot get out --- then feed your staple feeder dusted w/ calcium D3 5 x per week once per feeding and vitamins w/ beta carotene 2 x per week once per feeding -- if you have any more questions please ask
Karrie

Rangomango

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the advice!!!

I have a Exo Terra Reptile UVB 200 Tube 10.0 in and a ceramic basking lamp.
How do I get him to eat greens? Or worms? He refuses everything but I’ll keep trying him everyday

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
A ceramic light ? Like a no light light and just heat or is it a bright white basking light? He wont eat w/ out a bright white basking bulb------------ he cant digest his food w/ no light -- and the UVB is in a fixture w a reflector ? Is it a T 8 or a T 5 and where in the tank is it ? Placement and distance is crucial
Karrie

Rangomango

Original Poster
I have a uvb light at the back of the tank and a ceramic heater lamp placed On the left side. I have a log so he can get close to the heat. (This is the set up he came in and I didn’t want to move much until he felt better)

I will be getting his new set up by next week (Vivexotic Repti-Home Vivarium - Maxi Large Grey 115x49x56cm) with correct lighting and basking lamp.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
No bright white basking light will give him diarrhea and not able to digest his food --- the 80 gallon tank you can use a 36" fixture w a reflector a MUST w/ a Arcadia 12% bulb -- I would start w/a 100 watt bright white basking bulb --- you want basking temps 95-110 for a adult dragon --- I would get a piece of decor that offers different heat gradient --- proper temps and basking light are a MUST for the overall health of the dragon
Karrie

Rangomango

Original Poster
Thank you so much! He should get the set up he’s always needed very soon ?? Can’t wait to get him back healthy

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Absolutely essential to have the proper lighting, as Karrie suggested. In the meantime,
while you are waiting to get everything all fixed up for him, you can start him on some
bromelain liquid or powder (non dairy), or non dairy acidophiliz just to help his system
out in digesting.
Are you able to keep him a little warmer overnight right now?

Tracie

Rangomango

Original Poster
Just got his new lights (30inch 10.0 200 UVB & 100w es basking spotlamp) I will be keeping his ceramic heater on over night to keep him warm. He’s just had a poo there after sitting under his new basking light for 10 minutes and it’s a healthy poo with no diahrea, he seems more active.
Thank you

Rangomango

Original Poster
I have seen a few times he’s dry heaving what does this mean? he’s just done it there as he’s basking

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Top of screen or inside the tank? This is crucial distance and placement
Karrie

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Is your dragon still dry heaving? What has he eaten, did he have too many mealworms,
or other food item?
If the tube bulb is mounted on the back wall, try to get it moved to directly overhead so he
can get full exposure that way. Can you get it mounted underneath of the screen top at all?

Tracie

Rangomango

Original Poster
Yes my little Rango eat too many mealworms the first day I got him (Sunday) but ever since then his been very poorly and doing a lot of strange things. I could place my UVB tube light on the top of the tank instead of right at the back

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom