Water source?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
I have heard from many different sources that a water source is not needed and it is even recommended to not have one in the viv, as it can raise humidity. I already have issues maintaining humidity, and when I had a small water dish in his tank, it raised the humidity a ton (even being out of the direct source of light). He never touched it, but he was never dehydrated, as he got all of his water intake from veggies. He actually was taking in quite a bit of water, as the excess water was released in his stool. I went to the vet and they got mad at me and told me I needed to have a water source in his tank at all times. I want to trust my vet, but also thought I should get some second opinions. I obviously keep an eye on his hydration levels at all times and I make sure that he is not dehydrated. What do you guys do? What are your thoughts on this?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They can usually get enough hydration from their diet if they get fresh veges and live bugs that have been eating fresh veges so they are also hydrated. You can have a water bowl if you want. Some of them will drink from it when they get thirsty. Flicking at the water to create movement sometimes helps grab their attention. You can also drip water on their nose with a dropper or plastic syringe. They'll lick at it if they are thirsty. The best indicator of hydration is to look at their poop and urate. If that doesn't look dry/chalky then they are probably OK. If they are passing some excess water along with it, then they're getting plenty as it is.

beardiebaby19

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ppx33no said:
They can usually get enough hydration from their diet if they get fresh veges and live bugs that have been eating fresh veges so they are also hydrated. You can have a water bowl if you want. Some of them will drink from it when they get thirsty. Flicking at the water to create movement sometimes helps grab their attention. You can also drip water on their nose with a dropper or plastic syringe. They'll lick at it if they are thirsty. The best indicator of hydration is to look at their poop and urate. If that doesn't look dry/chalky then they are probably OK. If they are passing some excess water along with it, then they're getting plenty as it is.

Thanks! Yeah I offer plenty of fresh veggies daily, and he always got plenty of water that way. His poop and urate was always well formed and always had excess water from the veggies he ate. If he ever seemed dehydrated, I did offer drops on his nose from a syringe and he took it. Only had to do this once, though. His urate had never been chalky. I did offer a water dish at first, but took it out after a month or two after he never touched it (even with a drop of fruit juice or with motion), and it raised the humidity way too much. I tried telling my vet this, but they said that they absolutely need a water dish. I’ll try to figure something out. Thank you so much for your help!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Based on what you're saying, he's getting plenty of water as it is. If the water dish is affecting humidity too much, just leave it out. It's OK.

loljelloclowdz

Juvie Member
If you have a large enough enclosure, you can actually keep a water source, but most of what is available commercially isn’t suitable.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom