Sometimes Blaze does weird things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Blaze doesn't mind the vacuum cleaner, thunder, car horns, fireworks, hail and wind.
But if she sees a falling leaf she freaks out puffing and black bearding!
She also seems to not like dark colors, but tris to eat anything a certain shade of green.
Blaze loves to be wrapped up in a blanket, but hates it if something is put on her.
She's so funny.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Interesting to note these individual quirks. Something about leaves tends to get them going. Cooper used to hunt down and attack leaves when he was outside. They seem to go after certain colors like you're seeing too. It varies a bit from what I've read. Darwin will attack anything hornworm colored from a full room away. :lol:

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
CooperDragon":1ynjlp3j said:
Interesting to note these individual quirks. Something about leaves tends to get them going. Cooper used to hunt down and attack leaves when he was outside. They seem to go after certain colors like you're seeing too. It varies a bit from what I've read. Darwin will attack anything hornworm colored from a full room away. :lol:

I think so too. Their such neat creatures and funny.

dezismom

Juvie Member
They are all such characters! My boy had something against black shoes. He would rush over to the offensive shoes, stop, and lift up on his legs to rock back and give the shoe a good tap with his snout. Visiters were charmed, thinking it a friendly greeting....I did not feel the need to inform them otherwise, but he was Not being sweet, ha, ha!

saraho

Hatchling Member
Charlie likes the color red. I've seen him "taste" lots of items around my desk and in the library that he deems to be the correct shade of red. I have even been told that one afternoon, another staff member had him out of his enclosure to meet some patrons and he took a liking to a lady's red toenail polish. I wasn't here but I hope he didn't scare her too badly when he tried to bite her toe.

dezismom

Juvie Member
Yes! ha, ha! red=berries? who knows? but at least most beardies will release fast, when they bite down and come across something unexpected....I even trie to get Dezi to nip my finger once, (I KNOW, totally dumb experiment that shpud have been thought through a bit?) and he would have none of it. He was smarter than I was being! I was new to dragons, and did not know if they had real teeth--later I dicovered that, yes, they DO have yeeth, and a strong bite, if threatened. I have never been bit. I do believe Beardie see many colors, and maybe even some we cannot see. Such amazing creatures. Does Blaze like berries?

reptilemaster

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Hi I'm back after some internet problem.
Hmm, Blaze doesn't seem to like berries. She does like carrots a lot though!
When she was a baby she was mean and always hiss at me and bite me when I touched her!
One time she was sitting on het basking stick hissing and not stopping so I stuffed a cricket in her mouth. She stopped hissing, I guess she was telling me she was hungry? It took about three months for her to be tamed!

dezismom

Juvie Member
Carrots!? How unexpected...
Yes, we often, as new owners, mistake their communications. Once we finally learn to speak " dragon" , the bonds begin to form quickly.

If we closely observe them, and spend plenty of time with them, they teach us THEIR language! With my beloved Dez, I had as fluent a converstion as with any human. All day, on me or off, in his cage or on his window perch, we spoke. He also had many sub- sonics, that I could not hear, but felt as vibrations, like a cat who purrs softly,and you feel it in his throat.

I worked at a rehab in a big zoo, and had a special friendship with an emu, who followed me everywhere. she started thumping her chest bones at me when I rubbed her throat. The keeper said, no that was a female, and only males did that to indicate an interest in breeding! ( yeah, I was turning on an emu. story of my lfe.) Well, the other female produced a viable clutch of eggs, come spring! ha, ha!

Those are the sort of sounds I often detected Dez giving me, especially when he was on me and very content.I suspect they speak to each other in sub sonics. I knew purring, humming,thumping,booming, and several others. I always kept two fingers on his chest and throat when I held him.

Now I have a new fellow, and we are working together to learn his language. It is very rewarding. And it deepens the relationship, as you have discovered.

adambeck

Hatchling Member
It's so interesting reading about different quirks and personalities! Just proves that, much like people, every animal is unique. It kind of makes you appreciate them more <3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom