Possible respiratory infection??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello , I Have 3yr old dragon Spyro he’s roughly 400 grams his temps 95-100 humidity 30 .
About 2 weeks ago he started black bearding more , then found stuck sperm plug gave him a warm bath plug came out .. still was black bearding .. Friday we noticed him puffing his beard in and out like with his breathing Saturday it was clear he was having a hard time breathing you see it in his ribs and you could hear clicking/ poping with his breaths so we rushed him to the only emergency vet ( not a reptile vet ) but she had seen some other reptiles in past , she said she could hear stuff in his lungs and thought respiratory infection , so she nebulized him and gave him baytril 0.1ml 2x per day 14 day .. she said if it gets bad take him in bathroom with steam .. so I did and the popping noise got worse .. today we were able to get to his regular exotic vet .. he checked his airways and did X-ray and said there was nothing he could see wrong .. were awaiting fecal results .. he said this could just be behavior/ puberty .. we do have 2 other dragons in the same room not cage and cages are not facing each other ..
He still looks is like he’s breathing hard and he’s still black bearding .. anyone have any ideas ?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Boy he sure does have a dark beard. Does it lighten up at all, during the day or night?
While I agree it could be behavior related, especially since you mentioned you have 2
other dragons in the same room, it should not persist constantly. Are the other dragons
male or female?
Is he still on the Baytril right now?
I wouldn't do a steam room type of treatment but nebulizing would be good, if you have
a nebulizer. Did they do a blood test on him?
If his black beard persists, he is clearly in distress. You could try moving him to another
location away from the other dragons in case one of them is stressing him.
We can review your tank setup also, if you need to be sure everything is correct.
Let us know how the fecal results turn out & how he is doing.

Tracie

nicoleandadam01

Original Poster
He’s not black bearded all the time he does lighten up , just more black beard then usual ..the other 2 dragons are males one he’s been with all of his life , the other we rescued months ago .. the cages are set up so they can’t see each other .. and we’ve never let any of them have contact .
He’s still on baytril 14 day treatment 0.1 . The first vet said 2x daily our normal vet said 1x daily .. we started the baytril
On Sunday .
Monday night we did steam the bathroom , and you could hear the popping clicking noise in him a lot more during the steaming ..
I do have a nebulizer .. but not sure what to put in it ?
He’s still opening mouth a lot ... not aggressive so I’m thinking open mouth breathing?
No neither vet did blood test . They did X-ray , and were waiting for fecal .
Also could the stuck sperm plug from a couple weeks ago have anything to do with this ? Heavy breathing thing ? Like maybe there’s anouther or maybe he didn’t pass it all ?
But he’s been pooping ... so I’m guessing not ..
he’s not eating as much as usual but still eating he had 4 roaches today ..

nicoleandadam01

Original Poster
Also I noticed that one nostril , has what looks like skin flap that goes in and out ... and not a shed I’ve seen the nose trumpets , this looks different .. and only in one nostril
109635-5207573259.jpg
109635-5987312226.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How are things going?
How long has the nostril looked like that? Does it look like that all of the time, or just
when he breathes in & out?
Is he doing better now I hope?
If you have a nebulizer you can use if you wanted to put a little bit baytril in there, along
with some saline solution to nebulize him daily. What strength is the Baytril, does it say?
If there is another sperm plug that is bothering him, it could stress him a little bit, sure. Has
he acted like he has another one that you can tell?

Tracie

beardedbobbi

nicoleandadam01":jj7w9g4b said:
Also I noticed that one nostril , has what looks like skin flap that goes in and out ... and not a shed I’ve seen the nose trumpets , this looks different .. and only in one nostril
109635-5207573259.jpg
109635-5987312226.jpg
I’m having a similar issue with my bearded dragon what is that thing that is going in and out when she breathes I loosened it up a bit but it’s stuck in there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom