Is my bearded dragon healthy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nathanlew

So I've have this bearded dragon since I was 5 (I'm 14 now), and he doesn't look like any of the other bearded dragons I see online. He quite a bit smaller, and fairly skinny. His diet usually consists of mealworms and lettuce, and crickets if we have them. However, due to Covid-19, we haven't been able to get our hands on much food and he has unfortunately been underfed. Another thing I have noticed is that his tail and his right thigh haven't shed in a considerable amount of time. Also, some of his nails curve off to the side, and make a strange bend in his nails. If anyone can help me or give suggestions to help him, then that'd be great! Unless everything here is natural and I'm just going crazy. Anyways, thanks for the help!

I'm not sure how to add images to this so if someone can tell me then I can show you some pictures of him.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- here is a website for nutrition please NO more lettuce - it has no nutritional value --- fresh greens are not that expensive and you need to start feeding him better - insects can be ordered on line I can give websites-
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --- given the diet your feeding and hes losing weight that is not good so I would say no hes not healthy-- please post pic of the tank and lighting your using --
Karrie

nathanlew

Original Poster
KarrieRee":1hl706qw said:
http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html--- here is a website for nutrition please NO more lettuce - it has no nutritional value --- fresh greens are not that expensive and you need to start feeding him better - insects can be ordered on line I can give websites-
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ click on XIMG at the top of the message box then click on the pic it should post --- given the diet your feeding and hes losing weight that is not good so I would say no hes not healthy-- please post pic of the tank and lighting your using --
Karrie
109633-130917165.jpg
I know it's not recommended to use sand, so I'm working on getting something else figured out. I also add in natural sunlight whenever possible.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get rid of the sand and the red light ---- your dragon needs a UVB if the only light is a basking bulb-------- this is a MUST --- the sand you can replace w/ some paper towels for now or go to your local home improvement store and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - cut it to the size of your tank clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 solution -- insects cannot get underneath -- I recommend you get a 24" fixture w/ reflector w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ---- ASAP -- you can order online from here
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used as back up but distance and placement would be different
you need this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html this place is out of CA --
how are you taking basking temps I only see a stick on ------------ you need a digital probe thermometer -- where is the dragon
Karrie

nathanlew

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3psxll0g said:
Please get rid of the sand and the red light ---- your dragon needs a UVB if the only light is a basking bulb-------- this is a MUST --- the sand you can replace w/ some paper towels for now or go to your local home improvement store and get some textured NON adhesive shelf liner - cut it to the size of your tank clean w/ vinegar / water 50/50 solution -- insects cannot get underneath -- I recommend you get a 24" fixture w/ reflector w/ a Reptisun 10.0 T 5 ---- ASAP -- you can order online from here
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb it can be used as back up but distance and placement would be different
you need this bulb
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html this place is out of CA --
how are you taking basking temps I only see a stick on ------------ you need a digital probe thermometer -- where is the dragon
Karrie
I took the dragon out of the cage temporarily for the image

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please post pics of him w/ the incorrect lighting and incorrect basking temps I would say he is not healthy at all ---- please shut the red light off and get rid of it----- and diet as well he needs better diet and lighting ---- how long as he been in this environment?
Karrie

nathanlew

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2t10s2h1 said:
Please post pics of him w/ the incorrect lighting and incorrect basking temps I would say he is not healthy at all ---- please shut the red light off and get rid of it----- and diet as well he needs better diet and lighting ---- how long as he been in this environment?
Karrie
He has been in this environment for pretty much his whole life, and this is how we were told to keep him when we first got him. And as a first time owner, neither my mother nor I knew any better, and I only recently discovered that we were keeping him in a poor manner so I want to see if there is anything I can do to help him, as I feel very guilty.
109633-9652839493.jpg

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get the UVB I recommended and get rid of the red light he needs dark and cool to sleep temps at nite should be 65 or in the 70's at nite --- there should be 3 temps in that tank during the day
95-110 for a adult dragon 90's mid tank and 80's during the day cool side --- he needs basking decor pieces under the bright white basking bulb one that keeps those temps that I posted and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the UVB should be inside the tank w/ a fine mesh screen like a screen door w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor--- if the screen is a wide holed screen it can stay on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches basking decor directly underneath ---- I would be getting this as soon as possible --- to be honest I am surprised the dragon is still living --- I am sorry to say but the conditions hes been living have been wrong -- the pet store owner gave you very BAD advice -- please get those things I have recommended NOW --
Karrie

nathanlew

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3kf0bkbz said:
Please get the UVB I recommended and get rid of the red light he needs dark and cool to sleep temps at nite should be 65 or in the 70's at nite --- there should be 3 temps in that tank during the day
95-110 for a adult dragon 90's mid tank and 80's during the day cool side --- he needs basking decor pieces under the bright white basking bulb one that keeps those temps that I posted and taken w/ a digital probe thermometer -- the UVB should be inside the tank w/ a fine mesh screen like a screen door w/ a distance of 12-15 inches directly over the basking decor--- if the screen is a wide holed screen it can stay on top w/ a distance of 8-10 inches basking decor directly underneath ---- I would be getting this as soon as possible --- to be honest I am surprised the dragon is still living --- I am sorry to say but the conditions hes been living have been wrong -- the pet store owner gave you very BAD advice -- please get those things I have recommended NOW --
Karrie
Thank you so much for the help! If he lives much longer, then I will update you on his progress through this post. Once again, thank you!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please get those thing I told you and get the red light shut off what are his temps in the tank at nite? Get him on a better diet - he needs a staple feeder like crickets or dubias roaches- salads look at the website I posted and look at the UVB links I posted and get those asap
The digital probe thermometer you can get at PetSmart or Petco $8--
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom