3 Month Reptar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi! I finally joined after seeing coming here often to find preview answers. I got my little baby beardie about 3 weeks ago now and I absolutely love him. i have a 75 watt basking lamp and 10.0 UVB. But i’ve noticed since he’s come home that he is always squinting one eye at a time, this is randomly and sometimes when i try to pet him. I keep seeing something could be seriously wrong, or nothing to worry about. If anyone has any advice or help info please let me know! I want to make sure little guy is all good!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
They often close one eye when basking--- the 10.0 uvb bulb is a coil or tube? The two most important things in the tank are the basking temps taken w a digital probe thermometer and the UVB -- no coils
Karrie

babyreptar

Original Poster
Hey! KarrieRee, thanks for getting back to me. For my UVB it is like a coil but one of those straight ones. He never really cares to go on that side though, mostly stays on the basking side.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
So its like the side coil kind of like a short fixture instead of a dome? Those are new and I dont know anything about them --- but if they are a coil type I suggest you replace it -- I can only advise what I know works and what doesnt work -- I dont know if anyone on here has gotten any feed back about them --- and the coils do not work ------------- here is something about UVB 's and CFL's look on the box if you still have it and see what if it says anything about CFL's
CFL's have been found to be the worst offenders. Under no circumstances is it a wise idea to use a CFL UVB bulb. In fact, it would be better to turn the bulb off completely and let the dragon live without UVB for awhile instead of leaving it on.
I would recommend you get this these are the best on the market at this time
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/wholesale-reptile-hoods-domes-fixtures/1884-reptisun-terrarium-hood-t5-24-zoo-med.html this comes w/ a 5.0 bulb its considered to be a T 8 hang on to it - it can be used as a back up but distance and placement in the tank would be different
https://www.reptilesupplyco.com/t5-uvb-bulbs/1878-reptisun-100-uvb-t5-ho-fluorescent-bulb-22-zoo-med.html
This set up is for a 40+ gallon tank --- if your using a 20 gallon now the 5.0 bulb can be used till he goes into a bigger tank then you want the 10.0 bulb ---
Karrie

babyreptar

Original Poster
Okay so, I see what you are saying. BUT now i’m curious, isn’t the UVB supposed to be on one side and basking lamp on another OR is it good to have the long UVB light instead?? I have a 20 gallon tank at the moment till he gets bigger. But let me know! Maybe this is something I need to change, but i also do understand that there needs to be gradient temperature created. (i currently have the 10.0 UVB Reptisun, checked the box and don’t see too much info :/)

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The 10.0 bulb is a long tube? UVB's do not give off heat--- what are you using for a wattage for basking bulb
Karrie

babyreptar

Original Poster
No no, the 10.0 UVB is the “coil” one (it’s not a coil btw, not sure the actual name but it’s the straight looking bulb with 2 parts to it.) For the basking i have a 75 watt right now. These are in 2 separate lamps too

babyreptar

Original Poster
109627-8439744152.jpg
109627-8546051611.jpg

Okay so that is my little set up right now, UVB on left. Okay thank you for the recommendation!! Does this mean that the UVB needs to be going across the whole tank or how would that work?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
For a 40+ gallon tank I would get a 24" fixture -- you do not want the UVB the whole length of tank - some say 2/3rds I always recommend the 24" fixture - that way he does not haft to sit under the UVB if he does not want to - the dragon will go to the light he needs --- it is optimal to have the basking light and the UVB together sometimes that is not possible
Karrie

babyreptar

Original Poster
Hi Karrie! Okay so is there one you would recommend for a 20 gallon tank? I haven't been able to find anything that wouldn't go along the whole tank. Unless what you recommended previously would work anyways for a 20 gallon? I really appreciate your advice and guidance on this by the way. You're really helping me out here

babyreptar

Original Poster
109627-205720598.jpg
109627-518266703.jpg
I also did want to put a picture of his eyes. They did seem a little sunken when I was giving him a bath (he eats greens and i mist him as well) so I know that provides some water. What do you think though? Are his eyes looking fine? Minus the squinting issue?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Get the 24" fixture and use the 5.0 bulb that comes w/ it that way when upgrading the tank switch the bulb to the 10.0 T 5 bulb- take the UVB and place it length way across the tank w/ basking decor piece 6-8 inches directly underneath- I would set everything up on one end your basking bulb and UVB-- the eyes look ok he may be going into a shed- if his poop is firm dark and moist and urate- formed moist and white he's hydrated- if it's chalky and dried out looking he's dehydrated- rinse your greens before serving that will give him moisture- the one pic looks like he's gonna shed
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom