CHE question! PLEASE RESPOND

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Hello everyone! Last night was a rough one for me. It’s been getting colder where I live so Ziggy’s tank has been getting cooler at night. I normally sleep with a fan on even if it’s cold for the sound and I like to be cold but I was so super stressed last night that it would drop below 65 and couldn’t even sleep! It ended up dropping to about 69 on the side she was sleeping and 66 on the side she wasn’t. I feel absolutely horrible that I let it get that cold for her I’m trying to warm her up right now but I have an 150 watt CHE but I’ve heard that’s way to high for them. What wattage should I get for her? Also if I keep the CHE on during the night and it’s a good temp for the side she on and it’s like 66 on the side she’s not on it’s that ok? I’m just really confused and I need to sleep with my fan on lol

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Those temperatures are fine you don't need to worry about them.

The size of your tank really is what determines the wattage of che. But you can always get a larger one and have it on a dimmer to adjust the temps to where you want.

-Brandon

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":3bnn81la said:
Those temperatures are fine you don't need to worry about them.

The size of your tank really is what determines the wattage of che. But you can always get a larger one and have it on a dimmer to adjust the temps to where you want.

-Brandon
Thank you for the response! I have a 140-gallon tank would a 60 watt be ok? The tank only needs to bump up a few degrees right? Like 70-75? and it doesn't matter if it's only that temp on that side shes sleeping on?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Yup the only temp that matters really is the temp where she is at.

To be honest with you, I dont use CHEs and never have, so I'm not a good source on which wattage to use ha.

-Brandon

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I use a CHE and its a 100 watt -- its in the middle center of my tank - I live in MN so it gets cold here the 100 watt keeps my tanks around 70 or so --
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Claudiusx":rehvmag2 said:
Yup the only temp that matters really is the temp where she is at.

To be honest with you, I dont use CHEs and never have, so I'm not a good source on which wattage to use ha.

-Brandon
Thank you for the help!

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":jxd8bofa said:
I use a CHE and its a 100 watt -- its in the middle center of my tank - I live in MN so it gets cold here the 100 watt keeps my tanks around 70 or so --
Karrie
Awesome thank you! ! have a quick question the cool side of Ziggys tank now is 70 and I have the light on what should I do?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Light on ? Meaning there is a light on that side or just the basking light?
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is the temp in the middle of the tank? And your using what watt basking bulb? The basking bulb should be able to keep the cool side of the tank around 80 or so and the middle around 90's -- I am using a 150 watt on the basking side and its keeping my tank around 90's mid and around 80 during the day -- I dont have my CHE's on yet --- I have 2 tanks - w/ the weather getting colder now my CHE's will go on 24/7 here soon - but havent turned them on just yet as they are still staying around 69 during the nite -- I have my heat set at 71 for the house -- temps also depend on the room the tank is in -- if its a bright sunny room then your temp will be different if its a cold room no sun etc .........
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2en0kd72 said:
What is the temp in the middle of the tank? And your using what watt basking bulb? The basking bulb should be able to keep the cool side of the tank around 80 or so and the middle around 90's -- I am using a 150 watt on the basking side and its keeping my tank around 90's mid and around 80 during the day -- I dont have my CHE's on yet --- I have 2 tanks - w/ the weather getting colder now my CHE's will go on 24/7 here soon - but haven't turned them on just yet as they are still staying around 69 during the nite -- I have my heat set at 71 for the house -- temps also depend on the room the tank is in -- if its a bright sunny room then your temp will be different if its a cold room no sun etc .........
Karrie
My basking side is 103 but her cool side is 75 I use an MVB but I'm switching to a UV and basking bulb.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Put your CHE in the middle of the tank --- what size tank? The MVB is not keeping the cool side to where it needs to be - my 150 watt is --- so your switching to the long tube for UVB and reg basking bulb?
Karrie

Maddy5150

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":2az7g6ws said:
Put your CHE in the middle of the tank --- what size tank? The MVB is not keeping the cool side to where it needs to be - my 150 watt is --- so your switching to the long tube for UVB and reg basking bulb?
Karrie
yes i am

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so when you get the UVB please post what you got so we can help you get it placed- distance and placement is very important- a regular hh bulb NO LED 60 watt will raise your cool side- but you want to see if a regular bright white basking bulb will raise temp - you can try that before the basking light is put in then when you get the basking bulb keep an eye on the cool sides temp
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom