6 Months old bearded dragon not eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

HulkNick88

Hi all,

This is my first topic. Hopefully I’m in the right place.

Mushu, my hypo trans 6 months old male bearded dragon, is not eating from a month or so.

Vivarium is 120cm x 62.5cm x 62.5cm
Basking spot 42 degrees Celsius
Cool spot 28 degrees Celsius
Tiles as flooring
UVB bulb just changed
Night temperature not going lower than 24 degrees

He was a great eater, loving locusts, dubias and occasional wax worms, and throughout this 6 months, he gained on average 30g per week. He is now 317g and 18 inches.

As we were concerned, we have been to the vet, who checked Mushu’s poop and found parasite eggs - used panacur for 5 days but he was still not eating.

The vet advised to do a blood test and the result was that he has got low white cell count. Based on this, the vet prescribed Mushu’s with antibiotics suspecting and infection.

After 2 weeks of antibiotics, Mushu still wasn’t eating part from the critical care force feed with siringe, therefore again to the Vet who advised to do the Adenovirus test and the result came back positive.

The vet advised me to put Mushu to sleep as there is nothing to do.

Reading online and speaking with the breeder who sold me Mushu, in UK 90% of the bearded dragon has got Adenovirus and they can live with it just fine by taking precautions.

Now, Mushu is eating the critical care diet and keep gaining weight (about 10 to 17 grams per week) and doesn’t show any sign of illness being active and pooping fine so I don’t agree with what the vet said.

I ordered online organic drops of Echinacea and Ashwagandha which are meant to help with immune system and stress.

I have stopped the antibiotics and started the probiotics (Vetark Reptoboost) and continuing with the critical care diet.

Can someone please advise me further?

Please be kind as I am trying my best for my little one as I love him so much.

Thanks.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, sorry to hear that Mushu is ADV positive. Still, it's not at all an absolute death sentence, some dragons live a pretty good life for many years. Of course you can't ever breed him but I'm sure you weren't thinking of that. It sounds like you're taking great care of him so just continue what you're doing and hopefully he'll be back to eating insects again in the near future. Can you post pics of him as well as the entire set up + lights ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Sorry to hear Mushu is having such a hard time. It is hard when so many breeders are
selling immune compromised reptiles such as the Hypo trans. As beautiful as they are,
they do seem to have a lot of health issues & many times are inbred, too.
The supplements you have purchased sound like they should help quite a bit for him. I
would also recommend trying to keep him a bit warmer during the night also, just to help
out his immune system.
Is he on any medication at all right now, or not?
Definitely post pictures of him, along with the tank setup so we can see what he looks like.

Tracie

HulkNick88

Original Poster
109395-7191017326.jpg
AHBD":2mnnjqmu said:
Hi there, sorry to hear that Mushu is ADV positive. Still, it's not at all an absolute death sentence, some dragons live a pretty good life for many years. Of course you can't ever breed him but I'm sure you weren't thinking of that. It sounds like you're taking great care of him so just continue what you're doing and hopefully he'll be back to eating insects again in the near future. Can you post pics of him as well as the entire set up + lights ? Here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

HulkNick88

Original Poster
109395-1693891222.jpg
Drache613":2h30xxj3 said:
Hello,

Sorry to hear Mushu is having such a hard time. It is hard when so many breeders are
selling immune compromised reptiles such as the Hypo trans. As beautiful as they are,
The supplements you have purchased sound like they should help quite a bit for him. I
would also recommend trying to keep him a bit warmer during the night also, just to help
out his immune system.
Definitely post pictures of him, along with the tank setup so we can see what he looks like.

Tracie

HulkNick88

Original Poster
Drache613":3ax5ckg1 said:
Hello,

out his immune system.

Tracie

Hi Tracie,

Thanks for your kind reply.

He finished the antibiotics on Sunday and from Monday he is on probiotics (Vetark Reptoboost).

I posted the most recent pictures of him on my lap and the tank setup (sorry if not great quality but the 8Mb max upload file reduced the quality of the pictures)

Hope to hear from you soon.

Thanks,
Nick

HulkNick88

Original Poster
Hi all,

I thought I will upload a picture of Mushu’s poop just to have your opinion on that as well.

Thanks,
Nick
109395-9301998759.jpg

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Mushu looks very good, his colors are vibrant! I am glad to hear he is improving well,
that is great news!
The tank is nice & bright for him also, he must love that.
Is he eating anything in the way of solid foods yet or just the syringed foods you are
giving him?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom