Injured stray beardie feeding help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

saraho

Hatchling Member
Bless you for trying so hard with this little fighter! I'm cheering you both on from America!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Please keep us posted on how he is doing, we really hope that he will be able to recover.

Tracie

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
I'm rooting for you as well and following for updates, bless you for doing what you can for him

I cared for a post op beardie, not amputee per say but it was a gastric operation rather. In terms of nursing your beardie after i can maybe give you some tips from my experience:

1. "Surgery proof" the enclosure before he comes home- even if just temporarily while he is recovering. Beardies naturally like to climb and flop around, my girl still tried to do this after her surgery as well. I took down anything she could fall too high off of. Every other ornament I covered with fabric or paper towels to pad/soften it so she wouldn't aggravate her surgery site on accident.

2. It's likely the vet will put your beardie on meds, pain meds for certain but also prophylactic antibiotic treatment could be likely. This means your beardie will need probiotics to balance those meds out, and regular poo checks to ensure there isnt any issues in the tummy after surgery (I think you can just drop the samples at your vet every 2 weeks for 1-2 months maybe). Tracies site sells probiotics but if you ask your vet they also may be able to decant you some they have on hand.

3. Give prescribed pain medication at set intervals each day to maintain a therapeutic balance and prevent breakthrough, which could otherwise cause distress. If its once a day, give it at the same time every day.

4. Create a "slurry" of oxbow critical care, some usual greens, water and some insects in a blender or food processor. You can make a large batch of it, and buy a rubber ice cube tray from Kmart to put the "portions" in and freeze it. You can then just thaw individual portions out by letting it sit in fridge few hours before use and mixing a little warm water. The remaining frozen portions should be good for up to one month. Your vet might not advise this as being needed and allowing normal foods as tolerated but surgery is a lot of stress so it's good to supplement them while recovering if he's off his food. Give slowly via syringe as tolerated

5. Hydrate frequently by offering water on the snout via syringe. The meds will dehydrate him easily.

6. Increase the tank temp at night to ambient temp 80 degrees while recovering. If you do not have a CHE or even better: Deep Heat Projector (Arcadia) then definitely get one before he comes home and have on at night, set to a thermostat.

7. Gentle cuddles and TLC, for short periods a few times a day if he tolerates it. I found this perked my girl up a lot on her low days she would brighten and easily settle just after a little attention. Just make sure its warm enough.

8. Don't bathe him, but you can take a dramp warm washcloth and give him a light "sponge" to hydrate him as well, just try not to go over the affected areas and stick to the healthy areas.

If there is multiple meds given id also suggest spreading these out. (Ie. You might give the antibiotic in the morning then the pain medication at bedtime). This will also help to reduce stress on their tummy flora. You can give a little bit of feed with the meds so that it's a little easier for them to digest.

Sorry for the long post, i hope my experience can help you and your boy. my dms are open if you need to talk or need some more support. When i saw this post it broke my heart that this happened to him. :(

Rachypoo123

Original Poster
Well,

I dont know how i can even begin to explain whats happened .

He had his surgery yesterday to remove his eye as it got alot more swollen and painful. During surgery they discovered pus and a haematoma behind his eye so removed, flushed and derbrided and stitched up. They gave me an update whilst he was in recovery and said he had taken 1hr 30mins to fall asleep so will take ages to wake etc.

I drive to work to see him and on arrival I was told he died in recovery. After lots of crying we discussed what to do with him if I wanted to take him home etc. I wanted some clay prints of his feet etc.

As we were discussing him I moved him to look at his surgery and he gasped! We were shocked so the nurse ran to get a stethoscope and doppler to listen - she confirmed he had a heartbeat! 3 ppeople had listened separately and declared him dead!

So after that we had to arrange a treatment plan. Etc.

I went home confused but amazed!

Then today I had my head nurse on the phone telling me he'd been overdosed on calcium which as I'm sure you know is really bad. So they're treating him with steroids, furosemide and fluids.

I just can't believe all he has been through and hopefully we can finally sort him

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Oh my gosh, what a scare you must have had! But im glad to hear hes alive, what a miracle!

Calcium overdose wow, i dont actually know much of the effects but its good that it's been caught and being treated. I'm glad they were and to treat his eye as well, this part must have been the biggest issue- please keep us updated with his progress

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Wow that's a lucky break! Tough little guy. I hope his continued treatment works and his recovery goes smoothly from here.

Rachypoo123

Original Poster
Symptoms of calcium overdose are general lethargy, weakness and sometimes constipation. It can be fatal, as it was injected we don't know how much he has metabolised.

He is now home with me in his viv and i got him some new lights and stuff so he's being spoilt already!

He's had a reptoboost bath today and some waxworms, and had the biggest poop I've ever seen! fingers crossed he can only improve from here <3

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow, what an incredible story for you, an emotional roller coaster! His heartrate was likely
so low after surgery & anesthesia that it didn't register. They can lower their breath per minute
to very few so it is hard to detect.
Bless him, he was not ready to go yet.
I hope he likes his new lights & he will most definitely be a very spoiled & pampered dragon if
he wasn't already before.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Rachypoo123

Original Poster
he's ok. I would have thought so, I did tell them about breath holding also etc. but 3 people said they couldn't hear a heartbeat. They are not exotic nurses so I understand - a beardy is not much like a cat!

he is weak and probably painful after surgery so he has meds etc. for now. I had planned on rehabilitating and rehoming but I didn't realise how much I loved him until I was told he was dead!!

I tried uploading a picture but my phone just doesn't want me to. I will try again soon!

saraho

Hatchling Member
I want to cry after this emotional trip! I'm so glad you have the ability to care for this amazing special boy!

Rachypoo123

Original Poster
109556-9621874364.jpg
109556-3028904908.jpg

Uploaded some pics. He looks great tonight! Lots of energy ?

Hes getting better day by day, he's opening his remaining eye alot more now too. I dont think he has much strength in his legs he kindof drags himself around but he's getting there.

Heres a picture of his removed eye

109556-5646002684.jpg

He is well loved now, he sits with me on an evening <3

Cuttlefishh

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Charlie
Aww he looks to be very loved. You are doing an incredible job. His poor eye, looks rough but good to see they removed the swelling and were able to resolve it; it should heal with time and your great care.

Before you know it your boy will be living a normal spoiled beardie life :)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That's great news. Sounds like he is a tough one and has a good chance at bouncing back under your good care =)

Rachypoo123

Original Poster
So... an update and a further request for advice.

Beardy is at a standstill. He's not getting worse but I also think he isn't getting better.

He still doesn't open his remaining eye and struggles to move like a normal beardy. He does move I find him all kinds of places .

He is not eating on his own either. He went off crickets for a while with pain relief. So I am going to start syringe feeding again.

What do you think? Is this normal? Is it maybe time to think about euth? How long does recovery take?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He's been through a lot, so it may take a while for him to recover. I'd certainly keep trying to help though and offering syringe feedings is probably a good idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom