Always aspirated! PEASE HELP ASAP

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everytime I put water in my beardies tank, he drinks way to much and aspirated himself. He just did it right now. This time is extra scary because he is “coughing” and puffing his beard out. It’s super late here, so all the vets are closed. What do you do in a situation like this? I read that if you turn him upside down The water will run out of his throat or nose, and it will help. So I did that, and water did come out of his nose, but he didn’t like it and freaked out so I stopped. I put him in the basking area and moved his heat lamp closer. What do I do right now, and what do I do in the future to prevent this from happening??

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Also, place him on a decline overnight to help as well, just a slight decline. Can you keep
him warmer overnight, around 78-80F or so, to help boost his immune system.
Since he has such a tendency to drink too much & aspirate water, try giving him water with
a plastic dropper or plastic syringe by dripping it onto the end of his nose. Usually they will
lick that off of the end of their noses that way. That should hopefully keep him from aspirating.
I would probably take the water dish out though, of his tank to avoid these problems.
Be sure his basking temperatures are optimal for the next few days, too.
Let us know how he is doing.

Tracie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Happens to mine on occasion too. The best thing you can do is give them a very very shallow dish of water if that's how you're going to give it to them.

I've also found that if there is a big time gap in between giving them water, they are more likely to go crazy like that and just dunk their heads in and aspirate.

Small amounts more often is better than big drinks a few times a month.

-Brandon

Morganfoxxk

Original Poster
I stayed up with him all night just to make sure he didn’t choke or anything. He kept his mouth open a lot and I turned on both heat lamps to heat up his tank a little but more. Today he was acting back to normal. But it definitely scared me! Thanks for the advice!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom