Why always a black beard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Ok so w/ that being said your dragon is not getting any uvb-- the fixture needs a reflector and it needs to be directly above him 6-8 inches-- I can post a website for reflectors in the morning-- how old is the UVB? If its 6 months or older it needs to be replaced
Karrie

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":7311rods said:
Ok so w/ that being said your dragon is not getting any uvb-- the fixture needs a reflector and it needs to be directly above him 6-8 inches-- I can post a website for reflectors in the morning-- how old is the UVB? If its 6 months or older it needs to be replaced
Karrie

I replace the bulbs every 5 months.
The uvb is 6” when he basks.
I look forward to seeing the reflector.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yes -- I would get that ordered ASAP and get it moved directly above him --- he needs to be able to sit directly underneath it 6-8 inches --- the side position is not good as it can cause eye issues w/ the light shining directly in the eyes -- above positioning will be benefit better as the rays are directed downward toward him
Karrie

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
KarrieRee":11o1kos3 said:
Your welcome keep us posted please
Karrie

Definitely.
I’ve had 4 healthy dragons without a reflector. While I did order the reflector and am grateful for the advise, I do wonder why the dragons prospered without a reflector.

You believe once he gets the correct amount of uvb from the reflector he will not have a black beard?
Thank you

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
When he sees worms and knows he will get fed, his head shakes. Maybe a sign of calcium deficiency due to low levels of uvb?
I do dust all his food with calcium.

luvmybd

Juvie Member
Original Poster
17987-6205632626.jpg

Is this correct.
I don’t know if it would mount inside his viv. This hood is meant for to go on top of a tank.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Do you want to get a new fixture or do you have this one you posted? None are made to go inside the tanks that I know of ? If you want to get that one you would not need to buy a reflector it has one in it
And I can post things on how to hang in the tank
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom