brumation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
hello beardie parents! my little guy (not so little anymore) is starting to act a little off. he is about 22” and about a year old, his tank is a 70/75 gallon with all of the correct lighting. his current diet is crickets and greens with the occasional treat (fruit, worms and veggies) but he hasn’t been too fond of eating recently. most days, he won’t wake up in the morning until i pick him up and say good morning, then put him in his basking area. this isn’t new, however, he’s sleeping way more during the day and isn’t as active as usual. brumation is common during this time of the year, i think, and so maybe it’s that? today, for example, he woke up at around 10AM and was stubborn about basking, i was doing school in my downstairs and came back to see him sleeping in his hide at around 11AM, so i put him on his basking area again. i left him there and came back up at around 12:15 to find him sleeping on his basking area. i took him out, then put him back when he got cold (around 12:40). i then fell asleep until 4 and when i woke up i found him in the exact spot i put him in earlier.... SLEEPING!!! :lol: so, i woke him up and put him to bask... where he fell asleep... but took him out at around 6:30 and he ran around the house for like 30 minutes. then i put him back so i could eat dinner. he was asleep by 7:30 and has been asleep since and it is now 12am.

also, while he is asleep, it seems like he stops breathing for a while and then takes a big deep breath and does that over and over. he also stiffens up and sometimes won’t wake up. :/

108088-2616676740.jpg
108088-7835120051.jpg

here are 2 recent pics of my boy :)

so should i allow him to sleep all day, or keep waking him up and making him bask when he’s cold? thank you.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there, that's a nice big , healthy looking dragon. You should let him do what is natural, if they have the instinct you don't wannt to interrupt it. It seems odd to new owners but it's what they do. :)

NivAndBlu

That happens to everybody's bearded dragons, including mine! I got my bd at a winter-y time and it slept so much, don't worry, sleeping could help it grow :D :D :D

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Sounds like possible semi brumation -- what are you using for a UVB? coil or a tube? Sometimes incorrect lighting and temps can replicate brumation so lets rule that out first-- what are your basking temps and how are you taking them ? NO stick ons please you need a digital probe thermometer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lil booshka
Top Bottom