Possible respiratory infection

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really feels as if I'm never going to make it off of this beardie ER forum!! Not too long ago I was posting here about my bearded dragon Kyro, who had not eaten/had anything to drink in a month (aside from force-feedings and baths). I didn't think he was going to pull through that, but he seemed to be getting along.

Now it's about two weeks later and I'm suspecting he may have a respiratory infection. One of the only ways I've been able to get him to drink without aspirating water (until now) has been to let him go outside after it's rained (he likes licking the dewdrops off the grass for some reason). However, around two days ago, I was outside with him after the rain and he was drinking as usual. After a while, I noticed that his mouth was open and bubbles were comping out, which is usually a sign that something went down the wrong way. I picked him up and tipped him with his nose facing downward as I've seen done online, and it looked as though he coughed some water up. He was still gaping a bit and breathing heavily after the first tip, so I did it a few more times. He seemed to settle down a bit, but throughout the day, his beard just kept getting darker and darker and he was moving less and less. Today, his beard is still extremely dark, his breathing looks relatively labored, and he keeps his head and upper body propped up while he sleeps. His breathing doesn't sound bubbly or anything, but I heard almost a coughing sound come out of him earlier, so I'm pretty positive he's got something going on. I hate to see him in distress yet again!! I don't know what I can do to help him.

hayley0501

Original Poster
hayley0501":37dbz7th said:
It really feels as if I'm never going to make it off of this beardie ER forum!! Not too long ago I was posting here about my bearded dragon Kyro, who had not eaten/had anything to drink in a month (aside from force-feedings and baths). I didn't think he was going to pull through that, but he seemed to be getting along.

Now it's about two weeks later and I'm suspecting he may have a respiratory infection. One of the only ways I've been able to get him to drink without aspirating water (until now) has been to let him go outside after it's rained (he likes licking the dewdrops off the grass for some reason). However, around two days ago, I was outside with him after the rain and he was drinking as usual. After a while, I noticed that his mouth was open and bubbles were comping out, which is usually a sign that something went down the wrong way. I picked him up and tipped him with his nose facing downward as I've seen done online, and it looked as though he coughed some water up. He was still gaping a bit and breathing heavily after the first tip, so I did it a few more times. He seemed to settle down a bit, but throughout the day, his beard just kept getting darker and darker and he was moving less and less. Today, his beard is still extremely dark, his breathing looks relatively labored, and he keeps his head and upper body propped up while he sleeps. His breathing doesn't sound bubbly or anything, but I heard almost a coughing sound come out of him earlier, so I'm pretty positive he's got something going on. I hate to see him in distress yet again!! I don't know what I can do to help him.

he started coughing up blood but its like 4am and i have absolutely no idea what to do

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I am so sorry about your little one! Coughing up blood is most likely pneumonia but I am
not guaranteeing that. For now, until you can get him to a vet, try to keep him warm & as
comfortable as possible. Do you have him around 75-80 during the night in his tank?
It sounds like Kyro is definitely in distress. Have you taken him in for a respiratory issue
yet?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

hayley0501

Original Poster
Drache613":13oihsjd said:
Hello,

I am so sorry about your little one! Coughing up blood is most likely pneumonia but I am
not guaranteeing that. For now, until you can get him to a vet, try to keep him warm & as
comfortable as possible. Do you have him around 75-80 during the night in his tank?
It sounds like Kyro is definitely in distress. Have you taken him in for a respiratory issue
yet?

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

Hi Tracie, good morning

I really didn’t know it was so progressed until late yesterday. Kyro passed away last night after around two hours of trying to clear his lungs. I’m so sad that he had to die in such an uncomfortable way after already getting through so much. Thank you so much for all the help you’ve offered over the past few months or so, I can’t tell you how much it meant.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Oh no, I am so very sorry to hear that Kyro passed away last night, that is so devastating. :cry:
Sometimes it's really difficult to know just how ill they are until they go downhill so quickly.
My condolences to you on your loss.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom