6 Month Old Beardie weighing 510 grams??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stainaxo

Hello guys! I’m new to this website, but I’m happy to be here nonetheless! I have a beardie named Hazel who is currently 6 months old. The breeder said she wasn’t sure on whether or not she had some German giant in her genes...but this girl is 510 grams and is only 6 months old. I need some opinions!

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Some dragons would have the very diluted G.G genes, they don't totally just disappear from all bloodlines simply because the originals are not around. But there are just very large dragons in the captive bred population, again, some influence of G.G. but probably not enough to say that is what they are. What is her length ? Some dragons can be overweight even while still growing just as children/teens can be. Please do post a pic, here's how :

https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Then use the XIMG to upload them

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I was just talking about this the other day, dragons reaching basically adult size by 6 months. If you feed them enough, they will grow that quick. IMO, it's better to not allow them to grow that quick, by limiting their food intake if need be, but it's not unheard at all.

I kind of agree with AHBD, but I'm more towards the camp of, no real GG genes exist anymore. They are all too diluted IMO to have any real effect. Large dragons produce large dragons (generally) but the true traits of the GG aren't seen anymore.

Like the other posters, I'd be interested in seeing a picture and knowing the length.

-Brandon

Stainaxo

Original Poster
Alright y’all so the vets scale must be WAYYY off, because I bought her a scale tonight and she’s only 420-30ish grams. It’s still a lot for a beardie her age....and she’s 18 inches on the dot! She’s mah baby girl, such a sweetheart...
109590-3969936422.jpg
109590-3928465759.jpg
109590-1802338008.jpg

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
So 425g less the weight of the tail.

You need weigh the whole dragon ( I'd invest in a 4L clear tub that you place the dragon in ) and then weigh again.

I'd also say I'm very doubtful of the claimed age , maybe the seller MEANT they've had the dragon for 6 months , as it looks like at the very least an 18 month old to me based on it's head shape , the nice squish under the throat , and how it's body proportioned.
Nor does she look overweight to me.
I think the breeder either is telling porkies ( about the age ) , or about being a breeder at all.
IF they are a bonifide breeder , this girl is maybe a holdout that they kept to see how she developed and then decided to sell for some reason. Holdbacks from breeders can be very good specimens when the breeder decides they don't want to breed the lizard after rearing it to subadulthood or adulthood for some reason ( known only to them ).

I think you have subadult ( maybe 18 months old ) or a young adult over 2 yrs old.
I think she's coming up for a shed soon too , legs have dulled up is a sure sign.

I'd definitely NOT be feeding her like a 6 month old. So max one meal of live insects per day + greens .
Enjoy.

Stainaxo

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":1y3fkjgn said:

You need weigh the whole dragon ( I'd invest in a 4L clear tub that you place the dragon in ) and then weigh again.

I'd also say I'm very doubtful of the claimed age , maybe the seller MEANT they've had the dragon for 6 months , as it looks like at the very least an 18 month old to me based on it's head shape , the nice squish under the throat , and how it's body proportioned.
I think the breeder either is telling porkies ( about the age ) , or about being a breeder at all.
IF they are a bonifide breeder , this girl is maybe a holdout that they kept to see how she developed and then decided to sell for some reason. Holdbacks from breeders can be very good specimens when the breeder decides they don't want to breed the lizard after rearing it to subadulthood or adulthood for some reason ( known only to them ).

I think you have subadult ( maybe 18 months old ) or a young adult over 2 yrs old.
I think she's coming up for a shed soon too , legs have dulled up is a sure sign.

I'd definitely NOT be feeding her like a 6 month old. So max one meal of live insects per day + greens .
Enjoy.

She actually is a 6 month old beardie. The breeder and I both talked about her yesterday. When I came to her house to see the clutch, she said all the babies I’m looking at were born April 7th 2020 and hatched through April 9th 2020. I got Hazel June 17th, 2020 so she was already a 2 month old beardie when I got her. She hit her 6 months on October 8th.

I genuinely believe the breeder, she was very confident and all the babies looked really healthy and happy. I got Hazel just as those babies were able to be sold.

Stainaxo

Original Poster
kingofnobbys":2unwybev said:

Enjoy.

Also, here are some pictures of her on June 17th this year when I got her. She was just over 2 months old in this photo.
109590-2774322275.jpg
109590-5567384087.jpg

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Oh yes, they can definitely be 18" at 6 months. She looks good and healthy too ! Just watch that she doesn't become overweight as she keeps her juvenile appetite [ eating huge amounts of insects , possibly multiple times a day ] but start reducing slightly the amount of insects in the next couple of months . Does she enjoy greens/veg. in her diet as well as the bugs ? BTW, I had a male years ago that was 18" at just under 5 months of age, some are faster growers like humans but I agree with Brandon that it's good to watch their diet. Your girl looks fine though. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom