Is changing the UVB worth it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Im asking a question about my Zoo Med bulb+hood.

The DAY I bought it from my first reptile show (for about 3x what I should’ve paid for it of course, young newbie reptile owner :roll: ) several months ago, I saw on here that for a 48” tank, you should only buy a 24” hood+bulb, and hang it INSIDE the enclosure, for two reasons. One, the BD will hide from the UVB, and two, the screen blocks UVB no matter what.
is this true? Is this a crucial thing I need to do? If so I’m out ANOTHER 90 bucks on amazon :? obviously if it’s better for his overall health I’d do anything, but I just wanna make sure I’m not trying to fix something that doesn’t need to be fixed! I hope that makes sense. :study:

Details:

have this 4x2x2 maximum reptiles enclosure:
https://customreptilehabitats.com/collections/4-foot-reptile-enclosures/products/essential-4-foot-pvc-aluminum-enclosure
On the web page, you can see an option for “100% screen top” on the left, which just means the top on mine is more open than the image shows.

This company supposedly has larger holes than regular screens, letting more UVB enter the tank, and it is true the holes are larger, more of a honeycomb pattern, but I have no idea if that second part is true.

I have a 48 inch Zoo Med UVB bulb hood as well as a 48” T5 HO 10% bulb inside.

Side question: you’re supposed to change out the uvb bulb every 6 months yes?

Thanks

Also; this is what I’d buy if I needed to, I know the reviews are low, but I use the same thing but bigger now and haven’t NOTICED any issues? Sound good or should I change brand? ::::
https://www.amazon.com/Reptisun-26053-T5-HO-Terrarium-Hood-24-1-Bulb-Inside-1-Extra-Lamp-ReptiSun-5-0-10-0-UVB-T5/dp/B07HJG7TJ4/ref=cm_wl_huc_item

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
You can put the T 5 on top of screen as long as the screen is a wider holed screen - anything w/ a fine mesh the screen is going to block 30% of the rays- the 24" high tank the UVB should go inside the tank other wise your going to haft to have the basking decor piece pretty high - w/ it on top of the screen the basking decor piece should be 8-10 inches underneath it -- recommendations for the length of the UVB is 2/3rds of the tank - I use a 24" fixture in my two 4x2x2 tanks and they seem to work fine- my dragons are not having to hide from the UVB - they are able to be freely out w/ out having to sit under it constantly - T 5's need to be changed out every year I usually change mine out a month prior to the year -- its the T 8's that need to be changed out every 6 months
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Is zoo med a good brand?
How can I put UVB directly over it w the basking spot in the way?
Do I put the uvb directtly next to the basking bulb? Like parallel?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
ZooMed is pretty decent in general. Their ReptiSun bulbs tend to be consistent and reliable. The T5 is a good bulb. You can set it to the side of the basking area a bit, as long as you are creating a gradient so there are areas that have little to no UVB away from the bulb. The T5 bulbs don't need to be replaced as often. Every year or two should be fine.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as the bulb is at around 10-12'' (through mesh top) or 12-14'' (no mesh top) above the warm side basking area (next to the basking light is fine), then it should be OK for the life of the bulb which should go well beyond January (12-18 months of bulb life is a conservative guess without measuring the output).

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
As long as you have your distance (height to basking site) set properly I don't see why not keep it. I have a 36'' fixture on my 36'' enclosure and I have the UVB set along the front. This creates a gradient so there is more exposure in the front and less UVB exposure along the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom