Checking for life

Status
Not open for further replies.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Hey all, I'm a nervous Nancy.
My Beardie has started brumating, and I check in on her all the time. It's really hard to see her breathing, I'm sure because shes gone into that deeeeeeeeeeep deep hibernation sleep. So, what's the best way, without waking her, to make sure shes not dead? I've been taking her temp with a thermo gun every day, but how cold is dead cold? (She usually reads ~72°) I just want something to assure myself with every day that shes still kicking.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Yes, it is very hard to see them breathing when they are in a deep brumation phase I agree!
Really, you would have to take her out & hold her a minute or so, feel her or see her sides go
in & out to literally see her breathe. If she is not stiff, etc or her eyes sunken in, then she is
still with you.
Or you can try to tickle her eyes gently by placing your fingers over both eyes softly to pet her.
You "should" see the eye flinch slightly.

Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
There's no need to worry, it can seem unnatural for them to lie there like that but it actually is very natural. My boys are dead asleep right now as they are once every year for about 3 months. I try not to bother them at all. One day you'll look in there + she will be awake. :)

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks guys. This is her first real brumation. Last winter she was only ~6 months old. I've done plenty of research on it but still I worry cause shes kinda my baby. This morning I peeked in her hide and her eyes were open. Tonight shes dead to the world again. Lol.
I'll try not to bother her too much, just some quick questions. Should I let her lights continue to cycle?
And I've read somewhere that its recommended to take them out every now and then for a bath. True or not true? She did eat a bit the days before going in her hide without pooping so I wanna make sure that comes out obviously.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
A little bit of food is not a problem, her body will use it up. For hydration I check my guys after a couple weeks and drip a little water on their nose very slowly but I put a thick wad of paper towel under their head to soak up the extra water . I make sure there's no water pooled anywhere. I used to keep the lights off all day [ years ago ] but now I leave the heat lamp on for at least 6-8 hours so if they wake up and come out to bask and I'm not around they can catch some heat. I don't leave the uvb on because my dragons are always under a log or something so it would be a waste.

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
AHBD":s0g63u4w said:
A little bit of food is not a problem, her body will use it up. For hydration I check my guys after a couple weeks and drip a little water on their nose very slowly but I put a thick wad of paper towel under their head to soak up the extra water . I make sure there's no water pooled anywhere. I used to keep the lights off all day [ years ago ] but now I leave the heat lamp on for at least 6-8 hours so if they wake up and come out to bask and I'm not around they can catch some heat. I don't leave the uvb on because my dragons are always under a log or something so it would be a waste.
Good point about the UVB. I might turn that off but leave her basking lamp cycling. Also, it gets really cold in my apartment because my roommate loves having the heat off/windows cracked open when its 30° out, so I'm opting to leave her heat on.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

It can be a challenging time for sure. A lot do leave some type of heat source during
brumation especially if you do keep your house a little cooler. Wintertime can definitely
mess with the temperatures in the tank!
I hope she is having a good sleep.

Tracie

SarahGekkou

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Hey guys, just another quick question.
I dont typically leave water in her tank. I find it cranks the humidity up unnecessarily high and she never drinks from a bowl anyways. But, I got home from work today and she was out of her hide basking after sleeping for the past 9 days (I'm very jealous, btw). When she's up like that, should I feed her and offer her water? I feel it's kinda cruel not to and I'm sure they continue to hunt in the wild when they wake up from brumation, but what do you guys do?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
If she doesn't drink from a bowl. try using a dropper or plastic syringe to drip water on her nose. The dripping water often kicks on an instinct for them to lick at the water and have a drink if they are thirsty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank
Taking my beardie for a walk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KarmaChild99
Top Bottom