Bad gums

Discuss health questions, issues, problems, etc! For urgent issues please use the Beardie ER forum.

Bad gums

Postby Maurice5 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:05 am

I am Maurice and i'm new to this forum.
I signed up because i hope you guys and girls could help me with my 5 year old male bearded dragon.

First off i want to note that he doesnt seem uncomfortable with it. it doesnt seem to hurt and he doesnt mind me touching it. but i still want to figure out if its something serious. i've always kind of ignored it because it doesnt seem to bother him (very stupid i know). as he eats fine (well now that he's brumating not so fine anymore but thats normal) and hes still active. he has had it for a long time, longer than a year at this point.

now to the problem, i have a few pictures that show it pretty well. on the left side his gums are a little yellowish and swollen. his teeth look pretty fine to me but the gums dont. his right side however is worse. its dark and it looks bad. thats why i thought it was mouth rot but i need someone elses opinion on it. i have tried to ''clean'' it off with a wet qtip but its really his gums and not something on it that can be cleaned up. and since i cant find any cases that are really similar to mine i decided to ask it here,

here are the photos i took. luckily hes the sweetest ever so he doesnt mind me opening his mouth and having a peek.

Last edited by Maurice5 on Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Maurice5
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: Bad gums

Postby CaptainBlackbeard » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:06 pm

The photos are broken. Could you upload them again, please?
CaptainBlackbeard
Newbie Poster

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Oct 19, 2020 3:41 pm

See the they downloaded --- click on XIMG if they down loaded click on the pic and it should post
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby Maurice5 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:25 am

KarrieRee wrote:See the they downloaded --- click on XIMG if they down loaded click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

CaptainBlackbeard wrote:The photos are broken. Could you upload them again, please?

I edited the message with the ''user image uploader'' function this time so they should be visible now.
Maurice5
Newbie Poster

Postby CooperDragon » Tue Oct 20, 2020 8:41 am

The yellow coloring doesn't concern me too much, as that seems pretty common. The darker areas and the swelling could wind up being an issue in the long run. I would first try an oral cleanser. My vet recommended using MaxiGuard gel. Just apply a little bit with a q-tip once or twice a day to cleanse the area and try to prevent infection. If it starts to look worse, you may need to have a vet take a look and possibly treat for stomatitis. This may include cutting out dead tissue or a course of medication, but that's up to the vet.
CooperDragon

Postby Maurice5 » Tue Oct 20, 2020 10:19 am

CooperDragon wrote:The yellow coloring doesn't concern me too much, as that seems pretty common. The darker areas and the swelling could wind up being an issue in the long run. I would first try an oral cleanser. My vet recommended using MaxiGuard gel. Just apply a little bit with a q-tip once or twice a day to cleanse the area and try to prevent infection. If it starts to look worse, you may need to have a vet take a look and possibly treat for stomatitis. This may include cutting out dead tissue or a course of medication, but that's up to the vet.

Thanks a lot. i'll try that, the slight yellow colouring also didnt concern me, its mostly the swelling exactly. im gonna give the gel a try and then i'll let you guys know if it does anything.
Maurice5
Newbie Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to Health