I need help with lights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qx3qdf5 said:
Look on the bulb -- is it in a dome? The brand and wattage should be on the bulb
Karrie
Yes, it is in a dome. The brand is Zoo Med. Its just that on your post, Lighting Help for Newbies, you showed a picture of a dome fixture..?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No the bulb itself it will say what wattage it is it should be by the brand name
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please take a pic of the bulb--- 75 watt sounds like a basking bulb
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I need to see the bulb- and yes that would be a coil --- take it out look on it and if its the 13 watt like I am thinking it is DO NOT replace it! You need this for your 40+ gallon tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture
this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html 22" this is a Arcadia which is a great bulb- I was going to recommend the Reptisun but they are out of stock but this one is just as good - Its a T 5 as well - the fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb its equivalent to a T 8 hang on to it - it can be used as a back up but distance and placement in the tank would be different and its not as strong as the T 5's --
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
Hmm... It only says the max amount of wattage it can take(100-120).. Do you think I could find that reptisun or the fixture for it at a petstore when I go to replace the bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Most pet stores only carry T 8's --- and the longest for a T 8 is a 20" fixture from a store that I know of some do carry a longer fixture but most do not -- the links I sent you that store is good and they are fast -- your going to need that UVB replaced ASAP- I would go down to a single dome for your basking light make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank --- its getting too cold now to get them outside if you live where it does it get cold - summer is great if your in the middle of switching out UVB's cuz then you can get them outside for good UVB - that coil you have is pretty much useless it does not provide adequate UVB if any at all -- you can go look at your stores and see what they carry I do recommend the 24" fixture w/ the Arcadia - it would not need to be changed out for a year -- the T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months and I recommend a month prior to the 6
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20x212lr said:
Most pet stores only carry T 8's --- and the longest for a T 8 is a 20" fixture from a store that I know of some do carry a longer fixture but most do not -- the links I sent you that store is good and they are fast -- your going to need that UVB replaced ASAP- I would go down to a single dome for your basking light make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank --- its getting too cold now to get them outside if you live where it does it get cold - summer is great if your in the middle of switching out UVB's cuz then you can get them outside for good UVB - that coil you have is pretty much useless it does not provide adequate UVB if any at all -- you can go look at your stores and see what they carry I do recommend the 24" fixture w/ the Arcadia - it would not need to be changed out for a year -- the T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months and I recommend a month prior to the 6
Karrie
Oh no... Okay. I can try to convince my mom to get me the new fixture and everything else I need but I don't know if it'll work. I can probably get a better fixture for the uvb at the petstore if they have it. Its usually pretty hot where I live but todays a rainy day

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so get the 20" fixture if you can and use the bulb that comes w/ it --- if there is one- I dont recommend the 20" because you are going to need to upgrade to a bigger tank like in the next few months -- you will not be able to keep him in a 20 gallon tank - he will out grow it by the time hes 6 months old and thats pushing it --- your going to need to get at the least a 40 gallon and I dont recommend that either -- a full size dragon which is around a year needs a 75-120 gallon tank --- that is why I recommended the 24" fixture it will go into pretty much the norm for a tank of 40+ gallon --- you can look on Craigslist or FB marketplace for a tank - look for one w/ front doors and if you find one make sure you sanitize it really good w/ some Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 or Rescue --- the single dome can be found at your pet store I use Flukers for basking domes-- go look at the links I posted so you know what your looking for when you go to the pet store--- you can get a Zilla fixture w/ a T 8 bulb - those are common at the pet stores but they are usually only 18" and come w/ a crappy bulb - you can replace that bulb for a Reptisun T 8 but then again you will be buying again when you need to upgrade the tank --- so save some money get what you can put into a bigger tank now and I will help you set it up for the bigger fixture for your 20 gallon tank -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yunasmama
Top Bottom