I need help with lights!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":2qx3qdf5 said:
Look on the bulb -- is it in a dome? The brand and wattage should be on the bulb
Karrie
Yes, it is in a dome. The brand is Zoo Med. Its just that on your post, Lighting Help for Newbies, you showed a picture of a dome fixture..?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
No the bulb itself it will say what wattage it is it should be by the brand name
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Please take a pic of the bulb--- 75 watt sounds like a basking bulb
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so I need to see the bulb- and yes that would be a coil --- take it out look on it and if its the 13 watt like I am thinking it is DO NOT replace it! You need this for your 40+ gallon tank
https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/zoo-med-reptisun-t5-ho-terrarium-hood.html 24" fixture
this bulb https://www.pangeareptile.com/store/arcadia-12-uvb-t5-reptile-bulb.html 22" this is a Arcadia which is a great bulb- I was going to recommend the Reptisun but they are out of stock but this one is just as good - Its a T 5 as well - the fixture will come w/ a 5.0 bulb its equivalent to a T 8 hang on to it - it can be used as a back up but distance and placement in the tank would be different and its not as strong as the T 5's --
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
Hmm... It only says the max amount of wattage it can take(100-120).. Do you think I could find that reptisun or the fixture for it at a petstore when I go to replace the bulb?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Most pet stores only carry T 8's --- and the longest for a T 8 is a 20" fixture from a store that I know of some do carry a longer fixture but most do not -- the links I sent you that store is good and they are fast -- your going to need that UVB replaced ASAP- I would go down to a single dome for your basking light make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank --- its getting too cold now to get them outside if you live where it does it get cold - summer is great if your in the middle of switching out UVB's cuz then you can get them outside for good UVB - that coil you have is pretty much useless it does not provide adequate UVB if any at all -- you can go look at your stores and see what they carry I do recommend the 24" fixture w/ the Arcadia - it would not need to be changed out for a year -- the T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months and I recommend a month prior to the 6
Karrie

Impawsiblesquad

Original Poster
KarrieRee":20x212lr said:
Most pet stores only carry T 8's --- and the longest for a T 8 is a 20" fixture from a store that I know of some do carry a longer fixture but most do not -- the links I sent you that store is good and they are fast -- your going to need that UVB replaced ASAP- I would go down to a single dome for your basking light make sure you have a digital probe thermometer to get actual basking temps NO stick ons they are inaccurate -- the UVB and basking temps are the most important thing in that tank --- its getting too cold now to get them outside if you live where it does it get cold - summer is great if your in the middle of switching out UVB's cuz then you can get them outside for good UVB - that coil you have is pretty much useless it does not provide adequate UVB if any at all -- you can go look at your stores and see what they carry I do recommend the 24" fixture w/ the Arcadia - it would not need to be changed out for a year -- the T 8's need to be changed out every 6 months and I recommend a month prior to the 6
Karrie
Oh no... Okay. I can try to convince my mom to get me the new fixture and everything else I need but I don't know if it'll work. I can probably get a better fixture for the uvb at the petstore if they have it. Its usually pretty hot where I live but todays a rainy day

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Ok so get the 20" fixture if you can and use the bulb that comes w/ it --- if there is one- I dont recommend the 20" because you are going to need to upgrade to a bigger tank like in the next few months -- you will not be able to keep him in a 20 gallon tank - he will out grow it by the time hes 6 months old and thats pushing it --- your going to need to get at the least a 40 gallon and I dont recommend that either -- a full size dragon which is around a year needs a 75-120 gallon tank --- that is why I recommended the 24" fixture it will go into pretty much the norm for a tank of 40+ gallon --- you can look on Craigslist or FB marketplace for a tank - look for one w/ front doors and if you find one make sure you sanitize it really good w/ some Zoo Meds Wipe Out or F 10 or Rescue --- the single dome can be found at your pet store I use Flukers for basking domes-- go look at the links I posted so you know what your looking for when you go to the pet store--- you can get a Zilla fixture w/ a T 8 bulb - those are common at the pet stores but they are usually only 18" and come w/ a crappy bulb - you can replace that bulb for a Reptisun T 8 but then again you will be buying again when you need to upgrade the tank --- so save some money get what you can put into a bigger tank now and I will help you set it up for the bigger fixture for your 20 gallon tank -
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom