What infrared thermometer do you use?

This forum is for general Beardie discussions that do not fit within other specialized forums. Please use a forum specific to your issue, if one applies.

What infrared thermometer do you use?

Postby FlapJack16 » Sun Oct 18, 2020 1:38 pm

I use the Zoo Med Infrared Thermometer, here’s the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTem ... 792&sr=8-3

And I point it at the spot a few inches away and hold down the button for a few seconds.

I don’t know how accurate it is. It picked up like 121 at my basking spot which is about 14-15 inches away from a 100watt bulb and it picks it up differently each time.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergr ... ljaz10cnVl

Is this one a better one? Does it have to be a reptile brand? What do you use?
FlapJack16
Hatchling Poster

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Re: What infrared thermometer do you use?

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:12 pm

FlapJack16 wrote:I use the Zoo Med Infrared Thermometer, here’s the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTem ... 792&sr=8-3

<< IT'S RUBBISH

And I point it at the spot a few inches away and hold down the button for a few seconds.

I don’t know how accurate it is. It picked up like 121 at my basking spot which is about 14-15 inches away from a 100watt bulb and it picks it up differently each time.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergr ... ljaz10cnVl

<< MUCH BETTER ,
NICE 12:1 SPOT
ONLY ISSUE I POINT OUT IS IT HAS NO MEANS OF DIALING UP THE SURFACE EMISSIVITY ( WILL BE FACTORy "TUNED" TO BE e = 0.9 WHICH CLOSE ENOUGH FOR MOST COMMON SURFACES )

Is this one a better one? Does it have to be a reptile brand? What do you use?
Last edited by kingofnobbys on Mon Oct 19, 2020 7:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby kingofnobbys » Sun Oct 18, 2020 10:35 pm

This explains why you are getting unreliable non-contact temperature readings
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=241233

Be careful if the basking surface is "specularly reflective" ie reflects IR if you position the sensor poorly , you can actually get readings that are reflections of the heat source ( sun, basking globe ) and fool yourself into thinking the surface temperature is higher than actually is .

For this reason I advise as small a spot size as possible , (my gun has 18:1, I've used industrial pyrometers with spots 200:1) and you should be careful to position so the surface you wish to read fills the spot , and you are not going to be "seeing" the heatsource's reflection.
I prefer to us contact probe style ( on end of long skinny cable ) thermometer to measure backing spot temperatures DIRECTLY rather than non contact thermometers.

Your gun will only tell you surface termperatures , it will not tell you air temperatures .
CBDs: Cleopatra & Caesar born 28Jan19.
Puff (RIP 10Dec15),Rex (RIP 16Mar17),Toothless (RIP 26Nov17).Peppa (RIP 22Mar19).
EBTSs : George & Mildred (born july 2010).
EWSs : , Fluffy (F) rescued injured by lawnwacker 14Nov17, Gutzy (F) rescued 27Sep19 - RIP 3Aug20 (est 12 yo), Wriggles (F) - injured rescue, over 8 yrs old, RIP 2Feb16 old age. Lucky juvenile (M) - cat attack rescue (lost r-eye, broken r-lower jaw), fatal SI RIP 21Jul2010.
kingofnobbys
BD.org Sicko

Postby KarrieRee » Mon Oct 19, 2020 4:13 am

I dont know about the reptile one but I use the one like the gun one and its seems to be pretty good- I had ordered it thru Walmart a few years ago and I dont even know if you can get them thru them anymore --- mine does not have a name brand on it -- you can look at your local home improvement store for one or look on line -- they dont need to be real expensive -- I would say the gun one you found would be ok - if you get another one I would see what that new one is reading versus the one you have now
Karrie
KarrieRee
BD.org Sicko

Postby FlapJack16 » Mon Oct 19, 2020 9:09 am

So make sure it’s a non reflective spot, and use the amazon infrared gun?
FlapJack16
Hatchling Poster

Postby Claudiusx » Mon Oct 19, 2020 10:08 am

The key here is that infrared guns are finicky and unless you know the emissitivity of the surface you are measuring, and have a gun that allows you to adjust its e value, you're gonna get inaccurate readings.

I second the opinion of relying on digital with probe ends instead.

My ir gun has adjustable emissitivity, and if you were going to buy one I'd suggest getting one with that feature. But really it's just a complication and digital with probe ends are much easier to use accurately.

-Brandon
Follow along with all my beardies. Check out my thread here!: Claud's Crew
P.S. We have lots of pictures ;)
Click here if you use a Sunblaster fixture - IMPORTANT
Claudiusx

- Advertisement -
- Advertisement -

Return to General Discussion