What infrared thermometer do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
I use the Zoo Med Infrared Thermometer, here’s the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTemp-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B0053Y6IPE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Zoo+med+infrared+thermometer&qid=1603056792&sr=8-3

And I point it at the spot a few inches away and hold down the button for a few seconds.

I don’t know how accurate it is. It picked up like 121 at my basking spot which is about 14-15 inches away from a 100watt bulb and it picks it up differently each time.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-1080-Non-Contact-Thermometer/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Zoo+med+infrared+thermometer&qid=1603057043&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFON0RYTThYUzVLWUEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4Mzc4MjBDNk9LMzcwQ1lZQVQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDI3Nzg2NDFOMDhGMUVaSFo4TFQmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

Is this one a better one? Does it have to be a reptile brand? What do you use?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
FlapJack16":2fq7u5yg said:
I use the Zoo Med Infrared Thermometer, here’s the link:
https://www.amazon.com/Zoo-Med-ReptiTemp-Infrared-Thermometer/dp/B0053Y6IPE/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=Zoo+med+infrared+thermometer&qid=1603056792&sr=8-3

<< IT'S RUBBISH

And I point it at the spot a few inches away and hold down the button for a few seconds.

I don’t know how accurate it is. It picked up like 121 at my basking spot which is about 14-15 inches away from a 100watt bulb and it picks it up differently each time.

https://www.amazon.com/Etekcity-Lasergrip-1080-Non-Contact-Thermometer/dp/B00DMI632G/ref=sr_1_2_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Zoo+med+infrared+thermometer&qid=1603057043&sr=8-2-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUFON0RYTThYUzVLWUEmZW5jcnlwdGVkSWQ9QTA4Mzc4MjBDNk9LMzcwQ1lZQVQmZW5jcnlwdGVkQWRJZD1BMDI3Nzg2NDFOMDhGMUVaSFo4TFQmd2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9hdGYmYWN0aW9uPWNsaWNrUmVkaXJlY3QmZG9Ob3RMb2dDbGljaz10cnVl

<< MUCH BETTER ,
NICE 12:1 SPOT
ONLY ISSUE I POINT OUT IS IT HAS NO MEANS OF DIALING UP THE SURFACE EMISSIVITY ( WILL BE FACTORy "TUNED" TO BE e = 0.9 WHICH CLOSE ENOUGH FOR MOST COMMON SURFACES )

Is this one a better one? Does it have to be a reptile brand? What do you use?

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
This explains why you are getting unreliable non-contact temperature readings
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=241233

Be careful if the basking surface is "specularly reflective" ie reflects IR if you position the sensor poorly , you can actually get readings that are reflections of the heat source ( sun, basking globe ) and fool yourself into thinking the surface temperature is higher than actually is .

For this reason I advise as small a spot size as possible , (my gun has 18:1, I've used industrial pyrometers with spots 200:1) and you should be careful to position so the surface you wish to read fills the spot , and you are not going to be "seeing" the heatsource's reflection.
I prefer to us contact probe style ( on end of long skinny cable ) thermometer to measure backing spot temperatures DIRECTLY rather than non contact thermometers.

Your gun will only tell you surface termperatures , it will not tell you air temperatures .

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
I dont know about the reptile one but I use the one like the gun one and its seems to be pretty good- I had ordered it thru Walmart a few years ago and I dont even know if you can get them thru them anymore --- mine does not have a name brand on it -- you can look at your local home improvement store for one or look on line -- they dont need to be real expensive -- I would say the gun one you found would be ok - if you get another one I would see what that new one is reading versus the one you have now
Karrie

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The key here is that infrared guns are finicky and unless you know the emissitivity of the surface you are measuring, and have a gun that allows you to adjust its e value, you're gonna get inaccurate readings.

I second the opinion of relying on digital with probe ends instead.

My ir gun has adjustable emissitivity, and if you were going to buy one I'd suggest getting one with that feature. But really it's just a complication and digital with probe ends are much easier to use accurately.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
georgiarichmond
Top Bottom