Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
I have a 13 month old beardie.
I need help with bugs, but here’s everything else first:
Supplements:
-Zoo Med Repti Calcium with D3 (daily)
-Rep-Cal Herptivite with Beta Carotene Multivitamins (2-3x a week)

Veggies:
Just starting this week I’m feeding him mustard greens, collard greens, bell peppers, butternut squash, and parsley every morning. (Before I was only feeding collard and I missed a lot of days)

Bugs: Here’s where I need assistance.
The space between his eyes is about 1” exactly, for reference.
I have been feeding him either:
10-15 Dubia roaches every day(these were well under an inch)
Or
10-15 superworms every day (these were a touch under 1.5”, but he doesn’t have any issues EATING them).

For the past few months, he’s had an inconsistent pooping schedule. He’s gone up to 3 weeks without going, but it’s usually two. I’m adjusting his temps as well as fixing his diet, and I’ll call if this doesn’t improve by November 1st. This is a lot of things, but one could be the abundance of superworms and roaches.

His temperatures, for reference, were much too cold, and today I got and installed new bulbs. His ambient is 91.8, his cold side is 85.5, and his basking spot I am still adjusting, I’m not sure how accurate my infrared thermometer is. (It’s the small black zoo med one with the blue button).

So I’ve finally got my temperatures pretty much under control, other than the basking spot, and the veggies are nice and consistent now, so I need help with bugs!!!

What do YOU do?
I’m thinking of purchasing a 300 bug one month supply... I really need a subscription so I can stop ordering every time.
I’m thinking of getting a wide range: superworms, Dubia, hornworms, BSFL, and silkworms, and feeding him a bit of each every day, about 10 a day.

What would YOU do?
Can you help me breakdown how many of each I should get?
(For example) please list something like ;
100 of this
50 of that
25 of this
50 of this
Just to describe which I should get the most of and which I should get the least of.
Etc etc.
thanks

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Your dragon needs the staple feeder insect 2-3 times per week -- they do not eat the same amount every feeding - it varies all you can do is feed / offer - I would feed salads every morning w/ a few super worms on top like 1-3- and some BSFL if he will eat them -- mine quit eating them at around 7 months of age --- he may or may not eat either --- then if its insect day feed those an hr or so after salad time - feed as many as he will eat and dust what you need to w/ the vitamin or the calcium D 3 / or calcium w/ out D 3 and NO phosphorus --- I alternate the D 3 to 2 times per week and w/ out 3 times per week and vitamins 2 times per week -- if hes a really good salad eater mine are not you may not need to dust w/ the vitamins- they will get those out of the veggies your feeding --
so if your ordering 300 bugs subscription
get mainly dubias since they are your staple feeder
figure how many supers your going to feed each day or every other / then x by week
BSFL will keep in the fridge on the door ---
horn worms are the least I would order -- they grow very fast and you will need to feed them at least one per day --
silk worms will keep as well --- you will need to keep the containers cleaned out every day and feed them every day -- they are another staple feeder as well - you can feed them along w/ the dubias so w/ all that hes going to have a balanced diet - I would look at feeding maybe 2-3 worms per insect day --- he may or may not eat all these as hes going to get very full ---
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Thanks so much for all your help with all my posts!
Does this sound right?

30 day Subscription:
I’d order mostly BSFL, and then 2nd most Roaches, 3rd most superworms, 4th most hornworms,
And feed the most BSFL, 2nd most Dubia, 3rd superworms, 4th hornworms

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Yep if thats what your feeding then yes --- he will eat a lot of BSFL because the are small so order the large ones -- only dust the dubias ---
Karrie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
what Is your supplement schedule?
I have zoo med calcium with d3, without d3, and Herptivite multivitamin with no vitamin a.

What days should I alternate those?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What ever is convenient for you - I do mine Mon and Tues D3 -- w/out D3 Wed - Fri and weekends vitamins -- its easier for me to remember those days --
Karrie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom