Time to go to vet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
This post will make me seem very undereducated and uncaring towards my beardie- I want to reassure you how much time, care, research and money goes into this animal.
Before I ask my question, here’s the backstory to him:
-I’ve had him for about one year this month, he’s about 13 months old.
-When he was a lot smaller, he had parasites (can’t remember the kinds), but he had 2-3 kinds and they got taken care of w meds.
- He’s had many tank changes, 10 gallon to 40 to 4x2x2, and I don’t think I’ve gotten the heating right at any point.
-My goal temps now: basking 105-110, ambient 90’s, “cold” side no lower than 75. I have to arrange his permanent basking spot, he likes to change it up on me, and I have ceramic heat lamps and a nice hot basking lamp.
-His current temps are an ambient of 78 to 80, which is too low(obviously) and I just got the new bulbs tonight so I’m setting them up tomorrow.
-his diet is consisting of a mixed salad(mustard,collard,bell peppers, butternut squash, parsley) in the AM, and 10 to 12 Dubia or superworms at night.
-I have a small tiny bowl of water(about an ounce or two maximum, it’s small) just in case, on the cold side away from lamps, it doesn’t tamper w humidity. But, I do not mist or soak him.

Here’s what is wrong; he’s going 2 to 3 weeks at a time without going to the bathroom. When he does, it’s a lot. He hasn’t broken this chain for awhile and I’ve been trying to tweak the temps and diet before I take him to the vet- is it more serious than that, can it not wait?
Should I be soaking him?
Is it too cold?
Is it his diet?
Should I call ASAP?

Thank you for the help, and reading the long post. I’m worried about my little guy.

Hi!
Sorry about the little guy, it’s always hard when they aren’t doing their best. 2-3 weeks is a long time. Does he have a UVB (lack of one can lead to digestion problems)? Also, a loose substrate could be causing impaction if you have one. Superworms can also lead to impaction if fed in high amounts because it is hard for bearded dragons to digest all the chitin in them. You could try using those as a treat and adding some black soldier fly larvae or Phoenix worms which are fantastic for them.Also, do you supplement with calcium and vitamins?The ambient temp is low which could also be part of his problem. I would try more a soak now, but a bearded dragon should be able to go to the bathroom without them. I would suggest taking him to the vet and looking for any parasites as well.
I hope this helps and you figure out what’s going on!!?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

You don't sound uncaring at all! It sounds like you have done quite a bit for him already.
Do you happen to have any pictures of him, along with your tank setup we could see how
it is all arranged in his tank?
Which UVB light do you use currently? How are you measuring the temperatures?
He could be impacted if he hasn't been basking at the correct temperatures. How many
insects weekly do you feed him?

Tracie

FlapJack16

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I use a zoo med UVB light 48inches, NOT a coil :)
He gets 10 - 15 insects a night, and it could be the superworms and Dubia high quantity.
I’m trying to adjust his tank this weekend, and I have another bulb on its way, so I won’t have a great picture for a bit.
His ambient is VERY low, so that’s my #1 priority.
He might be facing parasites- he doesn’t seem himself, so after I get his temps up and a consistent nice feeding schedule for a week I’ll take him in- I just need a good base to start with? Is that a bad idea?

I just use the ThermoPro house thermometer on amazon in both tanks, and tested them with a zoo med one and they were similar, and I use a zoo med infrared for basking. Does anyone use something else? My vet tech really likes the thermopro.

Hi!
It seems like you are doing everything you can. All I can say is increase the temperature which you are already doing. I think it’s a very good idea to take him in. It can’t hurt to see if there’s anything going on you’re not aware of.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbeardiemom09
Top Bottom