Sudden changes in behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had beardie for about 2 months now. I'm told he was 3 months old when I got him home. After a serious scare from the cat the first day home, he went through serious relocation stress for some time when he came home. He ate nothing for 2 weeks, (he has never wanted me to pick him up at all) then gradually ate more until he started eating like crazy. For about the last month he had been eating consistently and gaining an average of 4g/week. He was 15 g in early Sept and is now 37 g. About a week ago, he started being fussy about crickets. He'll eat one or two, then maybe eat a couple more eventually if it's convenient for him. He'll hunt them down, then just stare at them. He still likes his bsfl but they're too expensive to be the primary. At the same time he started eating fussy, he started acting different. He actually moved around the cage more, he started minding slightly less if I try picking him up. He's sleeping in different spots sometimes. He's more weirded out by his reflection. He seems to challenge the cat (through the glass) and the cat is spending alot more time staring back at him than he used to. Then today, he wanted not to be touched again. today, he even started waving at his reflection. Today, he seemed to attack his reflection pretty hard, when I put my hand in to break it up he actually walked up my arm, and climbed up to my shoulder and seemed content as I walked around the house. (keep in mind he's never wanted to be held before) every time I've tried this afternoon since, he doesn't mind being held... there have been other subtle changes too. Why is so much happening all at once? He seems more fussy, curious, scared, brave, and active, all at the same time. He never really shows alot of stress marks, or puffs up.

Jamesearl80

Original Poster
His basking spot is about 105-110. Hammock is about 95. mid tank 85. Cool side 75-80.

Solar glo 125w. With an additional dual fixture in the middle housing a thermostat controlled ceramic bulb (85 mid tank day / 69 night). And an additional coil uvb for light.

Poos are normal looking and several times a day. (sometimes they have water in them because of drinking bathwater etc, but even then the turds are still formed)

Jamesearl80

Original Poster
Also, he went through a full shed about 2 weeks ago (his colour is still unfaded) I did notice that he seems to now show a little yellowish tint in his beard into his armpit areas. (looks normal in pictures of other draggons I've seen) and the skin on his snout and head often look "dry".

Jamesearl80

Original Poster
I sent a picture. The good news is he are as many crickets as I've ever seen him eat this morning. And he is still ok being held. He also seems calmer. Last night sas the first time he slept in a hiding spot. I moved him under his blanket, and he then hid himself completely underneath, which is also new.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Pic did not post please try again -- see if it downloaded - click on the XIMG and if it down loaded it will show -- then click on the pic and it should post
Karrie

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
The solar glo is the only uvb I would look at adding another one-- sometimes they do not put out enough UVB and it's always best to cover your bases-
Where are you getting the bsfl?
Karrie

Jamesearl80

Original Poster
I get the bsfl from petland. Ps. He seems much better today after a full week of weird. He's already eaten his second meal of crickets today. The first meal was probably the largest single meal I've ever seen him eat. I also cleaned his tank today, and covered some of the sides that he saw his reflection in.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
What is a Petland? A pet store? I would recommend getting them on line
www.symptonbsf.com
www.dubiaroaches.com you can get super worms and horn worms from here they usually ship small order small amounts of the horn worms as they grow really fast - they are a good hydrating worm the BSFL are called nutri grubs
www.aafeeder.com they have bundled packages
Your going to need a ceramic or glass bowl if you dont have one already
https://www.amazon.com/MACGOAL-Reptile-Ceramic-Leopard-Bearded/dp/B084VJJWTV?pf_rd_r=R0HNPKXJ2ZARWAT5MPAH&pf_rd_p=c5b6893a-24f2-4a59-9d4b-aff5065c90ec&pd_rd_r=0173f98f-f39b-4d44-9f76-6ae4d88c419b&pd_rd_w=AuGQB&pd_rd_wg=tLkwE&ref_=pd_gw_ci_mcx_mr_hp_d
I highly recommend another UVB tho
Karrie

Jamesearl80

Original Poster
I've never been able to find any live feeders online availible to ship to my area. I'm sure it would be alot cheaper.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I miss you so much, Amaris 💔
What is a quick way to warm up a cold beardie? His heating element went out overnight and now he's very cold.
Pearl Girl wrote on moorelori1966's profile.
i feel so sad reading your about me 😢
Clapton is acclimating okay I think. He's quick as lightning so I'm not sure how much I should bring him out of his house yet. He's not at all interested in his salad though. I wonder if I should change what I'm giving him. Least he's eating his crickets.

Things to do:
Buy calcium powder
Material to raise surface for basking spot
Scenery decals for back of tank

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
williamyoung
Top Bottom